Chapter Twenty-Seven: Inmates

Chapter 27

The five mysterious men enter the room where Daryl and Kai are, one of them picking up Kai's grey hat and giving it back to him. All five of them are wearing clean orange prison uniforms. One of the men step forward, meeting Daryl's stare. The man has long shoulder length brown hair, having half of his hair tied back, a mustache to complete his look. His brown eyes give off the sense of dominance, clearly being the leader of his group.

"The hell are you?" The man bellows, switching his stare between Kai and Daryl back and forth.

Daryl raises his crossbow, hiding half of his face behind the weapon. "We should ask use the same thing."

All five men become uptight, the four behind the leader taking a step back, raising their hands in defense. But not the man in front. He doesn't even flinch. The man chuckles.

"Ah," he speaks, moving closer. "I like you. What's your name?"

"Daryl," he snarls, still aiming. "Who the hell are you?"

The man smirks. "I'm Tomas," he introduces himself, looking back towards the other men and introducing them as well.

"Andrew," Tomas points, pointing to a fairly small dark skinned man.

"Oscar," he says, gesturing towards another dark skinned man. But this time, the man is tall and well built. Maybe 6'3.

"That there is Big Tiny," he says, introducing a giant of a dark skinned man. He's at least 6'6 if not more. Daryl looks like a midget compared to him. He feels like an insect, and Big Tiny is going to stomp on him.

Tomas points to the only white man in the group, bare him, saying, "Axel." His hair is like Dwight's, long stringy blonde hair.

"What are you doing here?" Tomas pipes up, frowning in confusement at them both.

Kai looks to Daryl before speaking, Daryl nodding for him to speak.

"We had no other choice. The walkers pushed us here. This was the only safe place we could use. To call home," Kai explains, Lance and Dwight bursting through the doors and into the room.

Big Tiny picks up a broom, threatening to use it. "There's more of you?" Oscar says wide eyed. "And what do you mean walkers?"

"Yeah," Andrew joins in. "Shouldn't you go to a hospital about your hand, Daryl, instead of being here?"

Daryl drops his aim, putting his crossbow over his shoulder. "How long have you been here?" Lance questions Tomas, stepping forward.

"About," Tomas thinks, "Five months. Why?"

Lance shakes his head. "Do you know what's going on? In the outside world?"

"No," Tomas says honestly, shrugging his shoulders.

"Jesus Christ," Dwight mutters, scratching the back of his head.

"Why? What is going on?" Axel utters in concern.

"Oh boy," Kai whispers to himself. "You're in for a treat."

🔸🔸🔸

Kendra wakes up to a harsh cold sweat, shooting up from where she was lying and breathing hysterical and unrestrained. Henri is already awake, changing into her pair of clothes from yesterday when Kendra jolts awake. She thought she could use the extra sleep.

"Woah," Henri exclaims, rushing over beside Kendra who's trying to calm her breathing. "What happened? Are you okay?"

"Y-yeah," Kendra says shaken up, pulling the duvet away. "I'm fine. Just- a dream."