Chapter Thirty-Six: Vengeance

Chapter 36

"Kai?"

Kendra's question sparks even more tension between Daryl and Kai, as if there wasn't enough going on already.

"Fuck," Kai blurts out, eyeing Kendra's dangling leg Daryl is holding underneath. "What happened?"

"We jus' need to get her back-"

"Merle..."

Daryl immediately is in shock as in why she said his brothers name. Why did she say his name? Did he pass by not that long ago? Did he shoot her?

Both Kai and Daryl want to know what she meant by her almost muted whisper, but Kendra has passed out in Daryl's arms, her own arms slipping away from the grasp she had around his neck, them now by her side.

"We jus' need to get her back," Daryl says, repeating his past words, but this time he isn't cut off.

"Put her in along with me," Kai tells Daryl. "I brought the car."

Daryl nods, following Kai to the car. Once they get there, Daryl lays Kendra out in the back seat, a blanket in along with her and Daryl wraps it around her, his shirt on her leg soaked with blood. He glares at her once more before slamming the door shut, making his way to his motorbike.

"I knew you'd find her, Daryl."

Daryl stops walking, his swinging arms coming to a halt, his back turned on Kai as he responds.

"Yep. Ya keep tellin' yourself that."

🔸🔸🔸

Sherry pulls across the gates to let Kai in first, followed by Daryl on his motorbike. As Daryl looks up, everyone is staring at the situation that's going on, Fava with a glum expression. What's going on?

Daryl parks his motorbike around the back, as usual, and he basically power walks over to where Kai is. Kai was about to open the door to get Kendra, when Daryl gets there first, shoving him with his shoulders to move him out of the way. The group shepherd round, Bobby accidentally letting a gasp over take him when Daryl picks up Kendra out of the car with the blanket tucked in and around her in his arms, spinning around to the group to let them see.

"You found her..." Lance says, a smile taking over his face. "But why are you not wearing a shirt?"

Daryl moves the blanket up from her leg letting people see his blood stained shirt on her leg. "Someone shot her. But there's an exit wound. I jus' found her like this in the forest. She was alone, walkers were gonna kill her. That's when I showed up... Perfect timin', huh?"

"Damn right," Dwight sighs, sounding upset. Kai twigs on, giving Dwight a death stare.

"Where's Jane?"

When Dwight doesn't answer, this makes Kai more ropeable, more curious.

"Where's Jane?" He echoes, like he didn't say it the first time. Daryl becomes invested.

"He asked ya a question, Whitey," Daryl grumbles, mimicking the nickname Merle had once gave him back at the camp all them months ago. "It would be nice if ya answered."

Dwight sighs loud, shaking his head. "To be honest, I don't know where she is. While you were gone, these alarms went off, circulating the entire prison with its sound. Turned out, Andrew was still alive, he seeked revenge, vengeance. Me and her, we traveled the corridors.Then walkers surrounded us, pushing me up against the wall. I told her to run...And she did... That's the last time I saw her... I'm sorry, Kai."