Chapter Forty-Four: Heretofore | Part lll

Chapter 44

Disclaimer: The chapter you are about to read contains sexual content. You have been warned.
_________________________________________

~ Love is the most expensive gift. Make sure you don't give it to someone who's cheap ~

***

I scrub the dishes with the sponge, the radio in the background playing its melody. I swing my hips side to side, tightening my purple dressing gown around my body since its coming loose. I sing along, placing the breakfast dishes onto the drying rack beside me.

"You better shape up. 'Cause I need a man. And my heart is set on you."

I smile, running my fingers through my dirty blonde hair. I really need to top up my colour. You can see my brown roots appearing again.

I tap my naked foot on the ground, tapping along to the old classic song. I love them.

"You better shape up. You better understand. To my heart I must be true. Nothing left."

I sing dramatically, spinning around on the spot to place another dish in the rack. As I spin around again to the sink, my eyes land on a blurry figure. I frown, only spinning half way to meet someone leaning on the doorframe with a bouquet of red flowers. I become as red as the flowers, knowing he was watching my performance.

Daryl.

"You're back e-early," I stammer, switching the radio off at the plug. He grins, looking down at the flowers then back up to me again. "These are for you," he says, walking forward and giving me the beautiful flowers. I flush, thanking him shyly as I take them in my hands. He stuffs his hands in his pockets, leaning down and placing a kiss on my lips.

"Happy birthday," he breathes, his breath hot on my face as his face is close to mine. He takes the flowers from my hands, setting them down on the island table beside him. He turns his attention to me again, reaching into his pocket to pull out a small black box. I become excited but also guilty that he bought me something that looks to be expensive for my birthday.

I told him not to. He needs that money.

He opens up the box and I cover my mouth with my hands, my eyes huge.

"South sea pearl earrings," he says, lifting one of the two out of the box, holding it in his palm. I shake my head in disbelief at him, kind of angry at him for getting me these extravagant earrings. But the anger dissolves into awe as I see the corners of his lips turn up, waiting for me to say something.

"I-uh..." I'm baffled, putting a hand to my forehead. "I can't accept this. I can't, Daryl. Honestly! What the hell..."

"C'mon," he says, his head leaning down to look at me. "It's your birthday. I wanted somethin' special for ya."

I laugh in disbelief again. "Well it's something special alright!" I cover my mouth with my hands again. Growing up in a rich family meant that I did get expensive gifts or presents. But receiving an expensive present from Daryl is more meaningful to me. My family could well afford the gifts. But Daryl can't really.

I think that's why I'm blown away so much.

"I really don't know what to say," I utter, Daryl giving me the earrings so I could put them in. I take out my studs, walking over to the mirror in the living room and replacing them with the light gold pearl earrings. Daryl appears behind me in the mirror, me looking over at his reflection, my heart exploding with gratefulness. How did I get so lucky? This man means the world to me.