Chapter Ten: Wings Tied Down

Chapter 10

~ Damaged people are dangerous. They know how to survive. ~

***

The date was 1st of October 2027, exactly three months since the outbreak. Exactly three months since Kendra's birthday. It had been two hours now since Kendra and Daryl had been outside in the cold night. Daryl had somehow got a squirrel and now he was eating it raw on a huge tree that had giant roots poking through and he sat down on the natural bench that nature had created.

"Ya sure ya don't want a bit?" He asks Kendra with mouth full of flesh.

Kendra screws up her face in disgust.

"No thanks," she replies, lying on the earth looking up at the night sky. Daryl gave a loud muffle as his reply, tearing the insides apart like he was a walker.

Apart from the odd grunt from Daryl, Kendra found the atmosphere calm and peaceful, like there was nothing around for miles. She kept thinking of Markus. Her heart stung like an army of wasps had attacked her.

"Do you think scientists are working on a cure for all this?" Kendra speaks her mind. Daryl licks the blood from his lips.

"Beats me," Daryl announces, shrugging his large shoulders. "Probably all dead. Smart people annoy the shit outta me."

Kendra was about to disagree with Daryl, but then it was probably true that they all had died. Kendra huffs.

Daryl licks his fingers clean and taps Kendra's shoulder as she was just lying next to him.

"There's a CDC not far from here," Daryl says. Kendra jumps up from the ground and stands in front of Daryl.

"How far?"

Daryl cocks his head to one side, thinking.

"Maybe..."

Kendra puts her hands on her waist. "About hundred miles...?" Daryl says. Kendra's brown eyes goes wild.

"Not far? Really, Daryl?"

Daryl stands up.

"Jus' a guess. Besides..." Daryl swings his crossbow over his shoulder and puts on his flashlight. "Probably all dead."

Daryl walks back to the motel, Kendra following him closely behind like his shadow.

"What if they're not? What-what if there is a cure?!" Kendra says, getting too overwhelmed.

Daryl ignores her and keeps walking. Kendra has to jog to keep up with his fast pace.

"Daryl. Listen to me!" Kendra puts her hand on the back of his leather vest jacket.

Daryl turns around in a flash.

"What?" He spits.

Kendra feels offended with the way he was acting, but she never commented on it. She let him have his moments.

"What if there is a cure. What if they're not dead?" Kendra says with hope in her eyes. Daryl shakes his head.