4: The Wolf Girl

4

I had just came back from school and I ventured into the forest again, to see if the wolf puppy was okay. I had a dish full of water in one hand, and a packet of chicken in the other. The puppy looked terrible when I first saw her, and I couldn't stop thinking about her today in school, wondering if she was doing fine.

The puppy was still there where I had found her this morning, curled up into a tight black ball, her eyes giving the most colour out of everything about her.

The wolf sat up when she saw me, limping over and whining as she stepped. A tear slipped accidentally down my cheek and I quickly wiped it from existence. I nursed the wolf, feeding her the packet of chicken one piece at a time. I began to stroke her head, dirt and moss in her fur. I plucked the mess out as the wolf gobbled down the food.

"Good girl," I whispered, setting her down and placing the clear water down on the forest floor. The wolf tumbled over more times, trying to reach the water, so in the end up, I had to lift her and set her down beside it. She lay on her stomach, slurping up the water with her little tongue. I stoked her again.

I sat there with the wolf, watching her getting her energy back. I couldn't bring the wolf home, no way. Mum and Dad wouldn't let me keep her. She was my secret. For now.

After she was done, I decided to reach into my dark green school bag and snatch out the beaded necklace I had made in art class today. I mean, what a coincidence that we were making these today.

It was a perfect fit for her little neck, and I tied the necklace at the end, not making it too tight, but tight enough that it wouldn't fall off.

I pulled the necklace around so the heart was facing forward. Printed in the heart was was her name.

T A M I K O, it read. I smiled and the wolf stuck her tongue out, giving me a happy look. My own heart stung. I had become attached to this little creature like super glue, and every time I tried to pull away, I couldn't. It was impossible.

"Naega neowa mueos-eul halgeoya?" I say, lifting her onto my lap, hugging her.

"Scozzafava?! Where are you?"

It's my dad. And he's coming this way. I have no time and he sees me with a wolf pup in my arms. He stops, clearly in shock.

"Wh-what are you doing with that wolf? Are you mad? And," he narrows his eyes, glancing at my new hair.

"What did you do to your hair?"

I gulp, now touching my new dyed hair.

"It was a dare," I say, looking at the leaves.

"A dare?!" My dad shouts. "You stupid child! Wh-"

"I got $83 from it! Look!" I reach for my school bag again, pulling out the money I got from the dare to show dad. "Jason dared me and I got his money!"

My dad puts his hands on his waist, his face fuming. "What child brings $83 to school?!" He yells, scaring Tamiko.

"His family is these millionaires and-" I'm cut off by my dad.

"I don't give a shit if they're billionaires! You are coming right now and showing this to your mum. Come on!"

I leave the dish behind, but I bring Tamiko. I think my dad is too angry to notice I've brought my new friend along until we get to our house. I look up at my treehouse and Rico, my older brother, is there with his two friends, Evan and Harry. I don't really like his friends. They're rude. Especially to me.

My dad drags me by my arm into the kitchen where my mum is washing the dishes from breakfast. "Fayre! Look what our daughter has done and- oh my god! You brought that wolf into our house?!"