Chapter Twenty-Six: Walk With Me

Chapter 26

"Goddammit!" Henri yells, hitting the steering wheel of the truck. "We have to go on foot."

Kendra sighs, dragging herself out of the truck and slamming the door behind her, grabbing her supplies. Henri slams the door hard, her anger and frustration building up gradually.

"Our luck is finally running out," Henri says, putting her knife into her back pocket, tucking it in.

Kendra walks around the dead and useless truck, trying to find somewhere they can go. "There's no such thing as luck," Kendra announces, waving over Henri to the forest at the side of the road. "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity."

"You're hopeful, aren't you?" Henri says, walking into the forest along with Kendra, Kendra murdering her confidence and hope and burying a grave for them.

"I use to say that to Daryl all the time when he brought up luck. It's true though. It is," Kendra says to Henri, remembering the little conversations she had with Daryl in the past. They were small; but to Kendra, they ment more than anyone could possibly know. Even if some of them were stupid, she'd still liked to look back on them. Every memory of Daryl she had was priceless. There was always a story to tell about him. They ranged from bad to good. To the cruelest arguments, to the most intimate moments. She treasured them all beautifully and equally.

"If you don't mind me asking," Henri pipes up, walking around a tree and meeting Kendra at the other side. "What happened between you two?"

Kendra smiles weakly, not making eye contact. "All you need to know is that it's all my fault..."

Henri nods, accepting and feeling grateful for the new information that Kendra just announced to her. "You don't need to talk about it if you don't want to. I understand," Henri politely says, stepping over a log with a brown toad on top.

"Thanks," Kendra says, grinning small. "Maybe another time."

"Maybe another time," Henri repeats.

Kendra and Henri venture further into the forest, going down hills and digging through green bushes. They come across a small stream, stepping stones taking up most of the room. But the most bizarre thing about this stream is that it has a smashed helicopter in it, the windows and the front busted up. It only recently crashed as there is still smoke piling up into the sky.

A man is cut in half, his lower half only about a metre away from his top. The man has turned, reaching his arms out on his back, growling.

Another man cries out, his gut teared open wide, blood drowning his body.

The last man isn't as in much agony as the second, but still crying out for help.

"We have to help them," Kendra says, crouching down low along with Henri behind the bushes. Henri frowns.

"How exactly? We can't help everyone," Henri comments.

"You're right..." Kendra replies, feeling sorry for the men.

Suddenly, two vehicles approach out of the forest and into the area where the military helicopter is crashed. Kendra and Henri both become wide eyed, crouching down further but still peeping out to see what's going on.

A group of men get out of their vehicles, one going over to the almost dead man and stabbing him through the head, pulling out his knife and blood going on him. The last man to come out of the vehicle is tall, his hair a dying brown colour, matching his long coat he has on. He strides over to the last man, the man begging him to save him.

"Please..." The man says, coughing at the end. "Our engine started... to suffer mechanical problems after, after... being caught in wind turbulence. Help me..."