CHAPTER 1: First Day Of School

LEAH

After waking up to one of the most annoying alarm sounds in the world, I took a quick shower, got dressed, covered up my fresh new bruises from my uncle's daily beating yesterday and headed off to my first day of school.

We had moved here a couple weeks ago and it was during the last week of Summer.

I didn't want to wake up my uncle and have to deal with his bullshit this morning, so I decided to leave earlier than normal and thought it was a good idea anyways cause maybe I could beat the crowd of students and find my locker before any good ones closest to the doors were taken.

While walking on my way to school, I began thinking about how it would go today and wondered how long it would take before the first insult was made. (It's a game I created with myself).

This was my last year though in high school. I was a Senior and was turning eighteen in a couple of months and couldn't wait to finally become an adult and be able to leave my uncle.

My uncle never wanted kids and wasn't married. When I was little, he got legal custody of me after my parents died when I was five years old and has taken care of me ever since. All while getting my parents life insurance and so forth. He unfortunately, is the only family I have left and to make matters worse, is also one of those creepy uncle's who is abusive both physically and verbally and who somehow, can apparently get away with anything.

He is a very intimidating kind of a man that nobody wants to mess with. You would almost think he was the boss of the Mafia or even a leader of a gang.

My uncle was 6 feet tall, in his late forties with short dark brown hair and brown eyes.

I tried pressing charges on him a few times and each time, he not only got off and had charges dropped, but would punish me for saying anything. This last time is what had made me give up. The last time I had called the police on him, I ended up in the hospital for weeks.

I stop thinking about him as I am about to begin another type of hell.....high school.

As soon as I got to the front of the building, I noticed a whole lot of kids were all standing around talking, while a line of cheerleaders greeted Freshmen and the rest were doing their own things.

I took in a deep breath and put my earbuds in, kept my head down, blared my music and began heading towards the front.

While I was walking up to the doors, I noticed people were staring at me and saying things that I'm sure were mean cause of the looks I was seeing they were giving me.

I just did what I always did and ignored them.

When I walked down the hallway, I noticed an opened locker at the end of the rows of lockers that was luckily just several feet away from the front double doors.

I walked over and saw that it was empty. So I began putting a couple of things in there and then locked it before picking up my messenger bag and my notebook for my first class.

I saw that my first class happened to be in the room a few feet down from my locker and it was one of my favorite subjects, Creative Writing.

So I walked in and noticed a middle aged dark curly haired lady with retro red glasses on, standing up, writing on the whiteboard her name and then something else.

"Oh, good morning." She says as she turns and sees me.

"Good morning." I reply as I take out my earbuds.

"I'm Mrs. Kople." She says while holding out her hand.

"I'm Leah." I tell her while shaking it.

"Well do you have a pair of eyes, Leah?" She asks with a smile.

I forgot I still had my sunglasses on. Then I figured I was covered with lots of makeup, so I looked up at her after removing them.

"Sorry." I tell her.

"No need to be. You're shy?" She asks.

"A little." I replied.

"Well, welcome to my class and you may choose whatever seat you'd like." She smiles again at me and then turns and continues writing on the board some assignments it looked like while I walked to the very back of the class and found a seat by the window which had a great view of the quad outside that looked really nice.

As soon as I sat down, the bell rang. Then everyone came piling inside the classroom, still talking to each other while I avoided eye contact and tried looking busy.

Suddenly, the class goes quiet and when I look to see why, I see five guys come walking into the classroom. You could tell they were the 'bad boys' of the school.

Though there was one guy in particular, who looked to be like the leader who all the girls seemed to be adjusting their clothes and fixing their hair for real quick.

"Move!" I heard a deep husky male voice say to me.

"What?" I asked. Not realizing who I just talked back to.

"What an idiot. New girl doesn't even know whose seat she's in." Some dark haired bimbo said as she glared at me.

"I said, MOVE! As in, get up and walk over to some other seat. You're in mine." The gorgeous and sexy guy tells me.

"But these aren't assigned to anyone." I tell him.

Oh my god, I really need to stop talking. This guy can break me in half with his bare hands. I can tell how strong he is just by how his shirt is showing off a good amount of his muscles and his short sleeves showing off his tattoos.

"Are you seriously talking back to me?!" The guy asks.

I then heard the bimbo say something else.

"Is she stupid? Doesn't she know who you are?"

Before anything else could happen, the teacher thankfully said something.

"Eli! Sit down!" Mrs. Kople says.

Wow, so far this is turning out to be a great first day. (Note the sarcasm).