CHAPTER 3: Late! Late! Late!

LEAH

I was so glad when school was over. I had dealt with so much bullshit today. From not just because I was the new girl, but to also have one of the hottest guys I had ever seen, tell me to move out of my seat, to staring at me at lunch, to the bimbo who I soon found out had a name, Ivy. And she was of course doing what people like her do best and kicked off the bullying. She even pushed me hard against the tampon dispenser in the girls bathroom, which by the way, really does hurt when you don't have a backpack on.

Then to make matters worse. Mr. 'I'm a dick to everyone cause I'm Mr. Popular', had caught me at my locker after I had just come out of the bathroom and was now looking for some things for the next period of class I had and some Aleve to hopefully help me with some of the pain I felt in my back.

When he decided to take that chance in making sure I never sat in that one seat again. Yet, that wasn't a good time for that. Not that there would ever be a good time for that but I was in pain and was already dreading about going home and was also nervous about my first day at work that happened to be at a bakery I had applied to the day after we arrived here and luckily, the owner was nice enough to hire me on the spot.

So I just hid my face as I rolled my eyes while agreeing to not sit in his seat anymore and then tried not to show I was in so much pain. Especially since it was probably his girlfriend that did it to me.

We both stood there, neither of us saying anything to each other and then we heard the bell ring for everyone to get to their next period and indicate that lunch was over.

That's when I took my chance to leave as quickly as possible.

Then once school was finally over, I quickly made my way to the bus stop, down the street from the school and went to work.

*****************************************

As soon as I arrived at the bakery, the owner who reminded me a lot like Goldie Hawn with the way her hair was and her smile and outgoing fun personality, greeted me.

"Hey beautiful!" She smiles.

"Hi, Cathy." I replied while returning the smile. She has been the only person in a long time that has been able to make me smile genuinely and not have to force it.

"Ready for your first day?" She asked me.

"Yeah." I tell her.

"Great. I will be in the back, helping Martin out while you stay out here and deal with the customers. Sound good?" She asks.

"Yeah." I replied and then she left in the back to help her husband out.

The smell of the freshness from all the baked goods. With the brownies, to the muffins, donuts, cookies, cakes and other delicious pastries. Oh my god, I have found a good place to work at, I thought to myself.

There was a good steady crowd that came in throughout the day and I liked how busy we were. In fact, I'm surprised these guys have never branched out or anything cause I have sampled some of their stuff and oh my gosh, are they delicious.

Then once we closed up, I took a cab home and walked in, seeing as to how I knew my uncle wasn't home yet.

I then made a little bit of some top ramen noodles, went to my room, did my homework, took a shower and then went to bed.

*****************************************

For the rest of the week, school and work were all okay and as far as my uncle went, I was getting lucky in making sure I avoided him as much as possible.

Other than the bullying that was going on at school, things were going okay. Whenever I walked into the bakery, everyone and everything else seemed to disappear and not matter anymore.

Then today, as I woke up, on my way to the kitchen, I saw my uncle drinking his coffee while looking on his laptop.

I tried being quiet and hoped he wouldn't notice me but that of course didn't help me.

"It's about time your lazy ass woke up!" He says.

"I-I'm sorry. I thought you'd still be sleeping." I told him. Which I don't know why I was stupid enough to think that.

"Well I'm not! But I am hungry. So why don't you make yourself useful and make me some breakfast." He demands.

"Okay." I tell him while forgetting the fact I'm gonna be late for school.

So I go into the kitchen and make him some eggs and bacon.

I then refill his coffee and set down the plate of food in front of him.

Then as soon as he takes a bite out of the eggs, he spits them out and grabs my wrist tightly and turns me around to face him.

"What the fuck were you trying to do to me, kill me?!" He yells.

"W-what do you mean?" I asked.

"I just ate a couple of eggshells in my eggs and you over peppered them. You know how much I hate that." He spits out. "Do you purposely do these kinds of things to piss me off?!"

"I'm sorry." I tell him but he squeezes his grip even more tightly to where I feel he possibly could break my wrist and then smiles right before slapping me hard across the face and shoving me hard against the wall by the kitchen.

"Get back in that fucking kitchen and make me a decent breakfast you lazy cunt!" He yells. "And hurry up, you're gonna be late for school." He says as he sits back down and drinks his coffee some more.

"Yes sir." I told him.

After I was done making him breakfast, he did one of his usual he's 'sorry' bits right as I was heading out the door to head to school.

When I arrived, I quickly make my way towards the office to get a late note from the office and when they asked me if it was a medical reason or not, I just tell them what I sometimes use which was that I just missed my alarm clock.

Then when I got outside the classroom door of Mrs. Kople, I debated if rather or not I should go in. But I took in a deep breath and opened the door to face more whispers and glares at me and possibly even more bullshit from that asshole, Eli, I found out was his name.