Imagine #73: River Monster

Imagine: You almost drown while on a hunt.

Age: 16

     "Sam, Dean." Your eyes widen as you watch the figure pass outside the window, your eyes meeting his all but for a brief moment. They stop talking to the lady the ghost is after and glance at you.

     "What is it, Y/n?" Sam asked, seeing the fear and hatred in your eyes.

     "He's outside," You jerk forward and move toward the door, your voice getting louder, "He's trying to get away."

     Sam and Dean sprint after you as you readjust your grip on your shotgun and burst the door open, running after the little boy as he casually jogs toward the lake outside. You dash from side to side trying to keep him in your view as he flits through the trees, high-pitched laughter echoing back towards you eerily on the breeze. You raise your shotgun, glaring down the barrel as Sam and Dean thunder forth behind you, but drop it, knowing you cannot get a clear enough shot through the trees.

     By the time you burst from the tree line next to the lake, you've lost sight of him. Anger courses through your veins as you slide to a halt at the edge of the pier that extends into the lake, looking into the viciously black water for signs of him.

     "Y/n, step away from the edge." Dean commands fearfully, a bite to his tone. You stupidly turn around to ask why, only to come face to face with the boy.

     "I want to help you go home." You say as he stares at you, a smile on his pale, pale cheeks.

     "I am home." He responds in a deep voice, and suddenly he is rushing to you.

     He doesn't even touch you, a force all of its own rips you clear off your feet and backwards into the freezing lake as he follows, a gasp causing your throat to fill with water as his small, bony hand encases your wrist, dragging you toward the depths. The light from the moon is unable to penetrate the water, and you are left to writhe in the abyss as the water rushes around you, feeling soft and cold again your skin.

     Your chest begins to tighten as your free hand vainly reaches down; claws at his. You feel the tattered, worn remnants of his shirt and pull at them, but nothing budges.

     And suddenly your inhaling water, lungful after lungful as you cough and try to close your mouth again.

     White spots decorate your vision, a million stars amongst the blackness of the water.

     And you calm.

     Your legs stop kicking and you watch the stars as they dance around you, lighting up the black.

     It's beautiful. You think to yourself.

     Your eyes close.

     You smile.

     You allow your body to relax and the water to flow gently throughout the cracks and crevices in your body like silk as you continue to sink.

     And as you fall away you realize that you don't mind at all.

---------------------------------------------

     "Y/n?" Muffled, quiet. Barely there.

     The stars are gone.

     In their place is the blurred silhouette of a man.

     A man trying to wake you.

     "Y/n?" Louder now. Distorted but strong.

     The silhouette is getting brighter.

     You recognize who it is.

     "Y/n!"

     A large gasp escapes your lips as your eyes shoot open, air rushing into your lungs faster than you can handle it as you roll to the side and retch, water pouring from your mouth like a faucet as you clear yourself out, breathing harder than you've ever before.

     "Oh thank God," Dean's infinitely relieved voice echoes in your ears and you realize he had been sitting over you, pumping your chest with his palms and sending his breath down your throat, attempting to restart yours,"I thought I lost you."

     "Don't be so sure you didn't," You reply sarcastically, your voice insanely hoarse-- sandpaper on concrete-- as you finish emptying your stomach and fall into his arms, light-headed as you try to recover your breath, "how did you stop him?"

     "His mom had an old toy of his. It's what kept him tied to this place. Sam destroyed it and he let go of you." Dean quickly pulls off his jacket and wraps it around your shivering shoulders, his arms following as he pulls you into his lap and kisses your wet hair with closed eyes and a sigh of relief, unphased by the water that drips onto him, "you're safe now."

     Your limbs are weaker than they've ever been before, and you are unable even to hold your head up as your eyes close and your cheek falls to rest against Dean's chest, breathing a sigh as your shivering strengthens.

     "It's over now?" You ask, curling up tighter into a ball.

     "It's over," Dean confirms, "Lets get you to the Impala so you can warm up."

     Dean stands and pulls you into his arms, carrying you like an infant to the car where Sam waits.

     "Is she alright?" Sam asks as Dean walks forward, his breath forming a frosty cloud in the air.

     "Yeah, she's fine, but Sam, she's freezing." Dean responds, looking down at your figure as you shake all but violently in his arms, his warm lips pressing to your forehead gently.

     "Give her here, I'll sit in the backseat and warm her up." Sam says and holds out his arms. Dean places you in them, but pauses.

     "The woman, the boy's mom--" Dean eyes his brother wearily, "--is she okay?"

     "Yeah," Sam is unable to repress a small sigh as he adjusts his grip on you, "She will be."

     Sam bends over and places you in the seat, closing the door and following Dean to the opposite side. Both brothers get in and Sam pulls you to his chest as Dean cranks the car, wrapping Dean's jacket tighter around you and kissing the side of your head tenderly, his arms tight around your body.

     "She's gonna be so sick tomorrow." Sam murmurs worriedly. Dean smiles.

     "That's alright--" Sam meets his gaze in the rear-view mirror and echoes his smile, "--we'll be right here to take care of her."