Imagine #125: Midnight Driving

This imagine is dedicated to notyourgxrl_ again, who gives me so many good ideas y'all it's awesome so I was basically given the skeletal idea and just had to fill in the gaps

Imagine: Sam and Dean get hurt on a hunt and you, having never driven the Impala before, have to drive them to the hospital while Cas tries to keep them alive with nary any help from any angel powers.

Age: just turned 16

Warnings: a little bit of language probably, mentions of blood

—————————————————————————

Whenever I envisioned driving the Impala for the first time, it usually came coupled with AC/DC blasting from the radio, the wind in my hair, and Dean's laugh echoing from the passenger seat. Imagine how disappointed I was when my real first time involved listening to Sam's cries of pain from the backseat and watching blood roll into my eyes and slowly clog my vision, my hands white-knuckling gripping the wheel and my foot slammed to the floor, unable to release my grip long enough to wipe it away.

This was definitely no idle midnight drive.

Cas and Dean were also in the backseat, Dean in similar circumstances as Sam while Cas helplessly tried to keep both of them alive, blood staining his hands and wiped across his forehead as he pressed his palms to different injuries on Sam and Dean's bodies. He had already de-coated, his poor trench coat patched haphazardly with nasty crimson stains as he wrapped it around Sam's stomach and pressed it down tightly, grimacing every time Sam gave a loud groan or yell of pain.

I could never tell you why, but for some reason my first worry upon stepping into the Impala for the first time, the first thing that entered and completely overtook my mind as my ass hit the cold leather seat, was, "If I get blood on Dean's seat, I won't make it out alive."

It seemed so stupid to me as I thought about it later. I mean, Sam and Dean already had the backseat painted crimson, and I definitely wasn't bleeding nearly as hard as either of them, just a little bit of a head injury that I think did more internal damage than external. But, nevertheless, I scolded myself into removing my jacket before I started my treacherous first drive, draping it over my right shoulder in the hopes it would catch anything that should fall from the side of my head.

The drive probably would've been easier if I had slept at all in the past three days. Or eaten. But those were things I didn't get to put first in my world, which meant that I had to get used to often missing out on them for hours or even days at a time. It wasn't hard to deduce that the reason behind my droopy eyes; the pulsing shadows; the loud noises that seemed to hammer into my brain, they were all the result of my malnutrition and chronic insomnia. Maybe that wasn't very safe, but neither were our lives, so what can I do?

The first time my eyes began to roll back into my head, and the white-knuckle wheel began to roll as well, sending us drifting to the right; the first time we hit the shoulder of the road with a loud rumble and I swerved back into my lane with a jump, I cursed myself and apologized incessantly to Dean, unaware that he wasn't even conscious anymore.

"You need to stay awake," I whispered to myself repeatedly, the words becoming a static I tuned into to keep my attention focused concretely ahead of me. I peeled my eyes open as wide as I could, the blaring brights of passing cars failing to force them shut, "Sam and Dean need you to stay awake and focused. Don't lose it, Y/n."

I didn't even realize Cas was calling my name from the backseat until he was almost yelling, tapping my shoulder. I jerked away from the touch, the car rippling to the left slightly before I straightened up. I hadn't slouched since I sat down, my spine straight and my foot still pressed to the pedal with as much pressure as I could muster, and I could barely pull away enough of my attention to respond to Cas. "What is it? Are they okay?"