Chapter 4

Brenda joined Thomas at breakfast. After woke up, she quickly looked for Thomas, then she didn't let herself away from Thomas. Thomas didn't bother with Brenda always at his side. In contrast, Thomas was happy. He was aware that he had a person who did care to him.

Once again, Brenda begged him to let her go. Thomas stood with his decision. He didn't want Brenda to go. It didn't mean that he underrated Brenda. He did know, Brenda was a fighter. That time, Thomas just didn't want to put Brenda in dangerous situation. If something bad happened to her, Thomas didn't know how he would be.

"Please, Thomas," Brenda begged again. Her eyes sparkled, like a child who asked for some money to her Mom.

Thomas shook his head firmly.

"Please, let me in! I can take care of myself."

Thomas still shook. "I know you're a fighter, Brenda." Brenda folded her face as a respons. Thomas took a moment thinking. "Let's make a deal!"

"What?" Brenda rose her eyebrow. She sensed a hope. But, she didn't express that little happy feeling into a smile.

"If I make it back-after I get back," Thomas corrected his sentence because he remembered about the promise he made with Brenda. And he knew Brenda didn't like if he stated the possibility of he couldn't make it back. "I am sure there will be the next mission. I am gonna let you take part in the second mission."

Actually, Brenda wanted to go at that time. She didn't want to wait until the next mission. "I don't like it. But, okay. Deal!"

"Good that." Thomas smile, and that moment he could see Brenda smile too.

***

After breakfast, everyone who were ready to go gathered at the shed. Beside Thomas, Minho, and Gally, there were the other nine persons that were ready to go. Jorge and Aris took part in the mission. The rest were Sonya, four Gladers, and two girls from Group B. Every of them brought a spear as a weapon.

Flat Trans was right in front of them. They waited for the instruction from Minho before they leaped into the shimmering grey wall. Previously, Minho divided them into six groups. Thomas and Aris were partner. Minho changed the plan for them. He ordered them to look for anything about electricity only.

Minho still stood in front of them. He seemed wanting to say another words. Thomas couldn't let himself giggle. He remembered what Minho said before they ran into the Maze. Thomas hoped Minho would say the real pep talk, just like he said before the Gladers jumped into the Flat Trans that transported them to the dark place.

"Everbody, listen to me!" Minho shouted. "We all know the mission. First, we have to get the medicine. Take as much as you can. After that, you can take everything we need. Make sure all the things you take are necessary. We have three hours to explore. If you can't get anything after spend three hours exploring, get back. Hear that, get-back!" Minho emphasized his last word. Then, he turned his face toward Thomas and Aris, his voice lowered. "You know what to do."

Thomas and Aris nodded.

"Okay," Minho's eyes darted around. "It isn't a safe trip. So, you'd better becareful. I want all of us make it back, safe and sound." Minho turned, faced the Flat Trans.

Thomas could see Minho hesitated. He walked toward him, whispered, "You sure about this?"

"You told me to assume that Flat Trans is still working." Minho's voice was low too.

Yes, Thomas told him yesterday. Back in the scorch, Thomas remembered someone said the Flat Trans was very expensive. Thomas hoped the cost for that transportation was worth it. Even though he could see the shimmering grey wall in front of him-after Brenda pushed some buttons on a control panel yesterday-Thomas didn't know whether it still could transport them. He hoped the big explosion that caused by the Right Arms didn't affect that super expensive vehicle. Flat Trans was the only easiest and fastest way to go out there. If they went through the ocean, it might take a few weeks to reach the nearest island.

"I hope so," Thomas muttered.

Minho turned back. "Everybody, let's go!"

With that, Minho leaped into the icy grey wall, followed by the other ten people. Thomas was the last who leaped.

High temperature welcomed him, but not as high as in the scorch. Thomas relieved as he and the others landed between the ruined building. He knew the place was WICKED complex that exploded by the Right Arms. WICKED didn't exist anymore. Flat Trans was still working. The only thing he should worry about was he didn't know where the place to find anything about electricity.

Thomas was still busy with his mind when Aris grabbed him by the arm. He saw the others took their steps, running. He was surprised by the sensation he felt as he started running. That the same sensation he felt at the first day of being a runner. Yeah, he liked running.

They went out of WICKED complex and arrived at the place that seemed horrible too. It was like a dead city. There was no sign of life. Only half ruined building. The ivy grew everywhere. Thomas kept his eyes around the place, hoping he could find the store or such that place.

More and more far he ran, the hope to get all the stuff he needed was faded away. That place was really dead. Absolutely a dead city. They might've to go to Denver to find what they needed. Without berg, it sounded impossible. And he forgot about a hundred of Cranks who attacked the city. Denver was not safe anymore. That was it. The Cranks. So far, they'd not found the Cranks yet. That was good. Thomas didn't want to use his spear. And he desperately hoped he would find the things he needed soon.

One hour or so passed. Thomas breathed heavily. Sweat drenched his shirt. Aris eventually asked for break. Thomas was happy he was not the one who should asked for. They stopped in front of the half ruined building. They sat on the loose wall. Aris took his bottle, drinking. Thomas did the same.

"I'm not sure about this," Aris moaned. "There is not even an inch of wire here."

"We have about two hours left," Thomas tried to be wise. Honestly, he wasn't sure. But, he knew in bad situation stating the true wasn't help, just made it worse.

"Yeah, and we'll find a mansion that provided all of we need. We just take whatever we want, then go."

"Funny, Aris," Thomas let out a fake smile. "Let's continue!"

They continued running through the dead city. Thomas almost screamed cheerfully as he found something sparkling at a building. He was sure the light came from the lamp. Thomas found the way, he told Aris to go toward that building.

That was a big building. The lights really came from a few lamps. He and Aris exchanged glances before they entered the building. They decided to walked together. Everything in the room made Thomas very excited. His eyes widened to see all of them. All the stuff he needed, everything about electricity were provided.

"Hard to believe," Aris mumble. "I will have a drink for this."

"Yeah, congratulation. Your wish come true," Thomas said. "Come on, we'd better hurry!"
A few things could be taken easily, the rest of them needed a hard effort to take, much less they had no any tools to help. At least, they could get whatever they need though it took a long time. They didn't know how long they spent time in that building. Thomas thought almost two hours. But, Aris was sure they spent more than two hours.

They quickly left the building. Running. Thomas could remembered easily the way back. He mapped the dead city in his head. The matter was their packs full of things. They couldn't run as fast as they did when they came. They were a bit slower. They certainly would late to arrive at the meeting point.

They were on their half way when they heard a dozen of steps behind. Thomas and Aris stopped at once. They looked each other to make sure what they'd heard was real. Thomas was the one who asked, "Can you hear that?"

Aris nodded.

They turned to see a bunch of Cranks about a hundred feet away, approaching them.

***