Chapter 22

September 18, 2018
-------------

Thomas leaned his hands on the fence of the balcony. He looked at the sky, watching the sunrise. The light penetrated through the peak of the building, making them colored orange. The thin haze that covered the town slowly disappeared as the sun rose up. A burst of warmth hugged him, liquefied his nerves, just a little.

He sighed deeply. Five days passed since they’ve hidden at Hans’s apartment. Five days away from the hands that aimed the launchers or pistol toward them. Five days didn’t get in touch with WICKED. It didn’t mean they freed from the anxiousness. Of course not. WICKED could find them someday, somehow. That was the problem.

After being worried about WICKED, they’re also concerned about Clarisse. Anyway, they didn't need to worry about Clarisse anymore. She was finally awake. She opened her eyes yesterday afternoon. Little by little she got recovered—actually, fast enough. She could walk around the apartment.

Unfortunately, they got a new problem. Hans was missing. He didn’t come back after leaving for his job to the hospital in Denver, one day before Clarisse was awake. That meant, it had been two days. Newt called everyone for the gathering to talk about Hans. They agreed that they used to do something to find Hans. Today, Thomas, Newt, and Minho were planned to go out there, seraching for Hans.

Thomas intentionally woke up earlier. He wanted to spend time watching the sunrise in Denver before involving himself to the mission, just like he did one day before he went to Denver. He always liked that view. He nearly always came to the hill to watch the sunrise or to the beach to watch the sunset in Safe Haven. The view gave him a little composure and reminded him that behind every bad thing he’d been through or he would do, the world had its own way to show its beauty.

He took a deep inhale, feeling the warmth of the sun wrapped his skin. He wandered his eyes. At the brief moment, his gaze caught a figure standing in front of the door, making him return his gaze quickly. It was Brenda. She leaned against the door frame, hands crossed on her chest. Her lips curved, forming a pretty smile as their eyes met.

“Enjoying the sunrise?”

Thomas couldn’t resist a smile escaped from his face. He realized something that Brenda’s smile was prettier than the view.

“Mind if I join?”

“No.” Thomas shook his head. “Of course not. Come here!”

Brenda took her pace. Thomas followed her using his sight until she stopped right beside him.

“It seems we can’t make a private conversation lately.” Thomas murmured. Now he knew how valuable the time he had with Brenda was. He had many times to spend with her in Safe Haven, but he’d never really used those chances. Whenever Brenda was beside him, he was usually—practically—out of his mind, making Brenda talk to herself, smile to herself, even laugh just to get a response from him. In fact, he barely noticed.

“Yeah. It doesn’t matter. You look happier anyway.”

Thomas slightly smiled. He knew how sincere Brenda was, making him more and more liked her.

“You’ve just done it. Smiled. You rarely did that as long as we were in Safe Haven.” Brenda winked at him, smiling wider.

Thomas put his hand around Brenda’s shoulder, pulling her closer. Brenda rested her head on Thomas’s chest. Her hair whose smelled like mint touched his chin. The scent increased composure on him.

“Thanks for not giving up on me.”

Brenda tilted his head to see Thomas in the eyes. Confusion washed her face.