Chapter 35

29.4.19

--------

351

Newt led the way. He half ran with Thomas right beside him. Every step was taken without the slightest hesitation. Not afraid to get lost. He seemed to have mapped the entire WICKED headquarters in his head. That fact made Thomas relieved. He hoped that was what really happened. His friends already knew the intricacies of the WICKED headquarters so that the others would have no trouble in finding the way out.

Thomas slowed his pace when Newt turned left. Something he saw on the right held back his movements. He stopped. Not something, exactly someone. Or two people. He knew one of them. Very familiar. The girl must be Brenda. Shee didn't realize Thomas was watching her, too busy with a man around her.Before his mind processed it, he was approaching them. He couldn't just leave. Besides he must make sure Brenda came out of the WICKED headquarters safely, it seemed he couldn't let the scene in front him last any longer. They were very close to each other. Brenda even put her hands together on the man's neck and let the man touch his cheek.

"Tommy!" Newt called from a distance away. He just realized Thomas wasn't following him.

Thomas ignored Newt's call. However, it made Brenda turn to him. He found guilt in Brenda's eyes. He wasn't sure it was real because Brenda did not let go of his hand from the man. Brenda even did nothing when the man landed his lips on her cheek. Thomas squeezed his hand. Anger immediately filled his chest, mixed with pain.

"Tommy, this way!"

Thomas still ignored Newt. Only Brenda he cared about. But, Brenda turned her face away from him. Brenda stared at the man with a look that made Thomas's anger grew bigger and made his pain even more torturous. She still let his fingers traced her face. What does she? Thomas asked no one. The two types of emotions that filled him slowly erased his ability to think.

He could only let memories overflow on his head. All the memories that related to Brenda. Previously, he had never felt his memories with her giving a painful stab to his head. He thought she loved him. Or he had thought that for a long time. He did not know that it was very important to him until now.The man kissed Brenda's cheek again. Brenda closed her eyes for a moment. He seemed to enjoy what the man was doing. The pain seemed to be thrown at him. Strangely, he was still willing to hold his gaze and let his steps continue towards them. Maybe anger was taking over him now. He was led by an irresistible desire to keep Brenda away from the man, then landed his fist on the man's face.

"Tommy, what do you think you're doing?" Newt had moved, following him. The sound of his footsteps clearly heard. He suspected that Newt was only a dozen feet behind him.

Brenda caught the man's face. The man lowered his hands, wrapped them around Brenda's waist. Brenda put his face close to him. The thin distance between their faces was slowly erased. Thomas turned his face away before he saw the most painful part as Newt grabbed his hand, then without warning he pulled it. Thomas couldn't do anything, but ran along with Newt.

"What happened to you, Tommy?" Newt let go of Thomas's hand after making sure Thomas didn't resist him.

Thomas looked back and saw a completely different scene. There was no Brenda there. He only saw two Cranks who were now chasing them.

"Yes, what happened to me?" Thomas asked desperately. It was his second hallucination. Even though WICKED didn't dissect his head, they obviously had done something to him.

"What I saw was you interested in joining the bloody fight with those Cranks, Tommy."

"I saw something else," Thomas answered. He didn't think to explain in more detail. "Oh, shuck!" He was sure he really didn't need to explain after he saw a bunch of Cranks were approaching them from the opposite direction. They spontaneously decreased speed.