Chapter 34

27.4.19

---------

348

Thomas”

The sound waves vibrated his eardrums. He managed to open his eyes. It seemed his eyes were hundreds times heavier. He could feel his eyes twitched, but he couldn’t open them. He changed his focus to lift his finger and he wasn’t able. Apparently, he was trapped in his own body.

“Thomas, wake up!”

The sound was familiar to him. He knew someone who spoke. Aris, he was sure it was him. It made him even more want to open his eyes. Unfortunately, his strong desire wasn’t enough. Even after he gathered all of his strength, his body still stiffened. He couldn’t help, but used the one and only senses that still working, his ear. He kept listening.

“Thomas, wake up, you stick!” Aris tapped his shoulder, then squeezed it. He guaranteed that he wanted to wake up as much as Aris wanted him to.

He didn’t know what was happening to his body. Whether he was dreaming or living the real life, he wasn’t sure. Anyway, he believed in the second option. Aris’s squeeze felt so real. People could think the same when he was dreaming though. It was really confusing.

“Thomas, listen to me!” the air blew to his ear. Aris whispered near his ear, another proof that he wasn’t dreaming. “Don’t trust them! Not anyone of them. You know people you can trust, Thomas.”

If he was dreaming, he wanted to wake up immediately. If the paralysis was caused by sedation or a kind of bullet, just like happened to him several days previously, he hoped the effect of it ended quickly. Aris's statement raised so many question in his head, and a little worry. He might be able to kept the question, but he had no idea what to do with his worry.

"They’re coming.” Fear cracked his voice. He let go of Thomas’s hand. The sound of the footsteps barely heard, indicating Aris was leaving the room. Hesitant steps, as if he wasn’t sure which way to go.

The next moment happened so fast. Noise broke through the atmosphere in that room. Some people came up. Threatening steps against Aris’s quietness and hesitation. The air was getting strained by the seconds. When the gunshots appeared, then Aris whined in agonizing pain, Thomas understood the confusing situation had turned into the fear. The fear that caught him too.

Before he was pulled into the unconsciousness, he took a few second to think. He wasn’t dreaming. It was real. As the darkness ate him, fear and worry hugged him so tight. What happened to Aris?

***

Thomas woke up, still dizzy. His vision was blurry. The room was spinning around. His body wasn’t so weak, but that dizziness forced him to stay on the bed. He closed his eyes, hopping it would help him to manage the dizziness.

Several minutes passed, he opened his eyes. The room stopped moving. His eyes darted around, trying to gathered as much information as possible. It was odd that he didn’t find any medical stuff there, instead he was at the same white room with the glass wall on the front. Sphenson should have let some genius doctors dissected his head. Or it had happened. His brain had already taken out and all the procedure had been carried out so he had his brain back. No need to think how impossible it was, he touched his head. There was no surgical wound on his head. WICKED had not done something on him yet.

“We’re late, Thomas.”

Thomas turned to make sure Sphenson was the person who spoke. The WICKED’s leader showed from the door behind his bed, heading toward him with a desperate face. He sat on the edge of his bed. His eyes looked straight to the glass wall.