Chapter 25

November 6, 2018

-----------

Hans drove his minibus, leaving Thomas, Newt, Minho, and Sonya. The four teenagers stared at the back of the minibus until it disappeared after turning to the left.

“Where do we start?” The question signified they would be in a bustle.

“There’s a place nobody knows, only Hans, Clare, and me.” Newt answered. He started to walk, followed by Thomas, Minho, and Sonya. “I’m sure Clare’s there.” He stepped toward the ruins.

They walked carefully on the ruins. Newt led them to the middle of the ruins. He stopped, eyes darting around, as if he’s ensuring that he’d taken the right direction. A few minutes passed. He continued to walk ten feet more, then stopped.

“Here!” Newt bent down. He looked at a pile of ruins beneath his legs. “I think it’s here.”

No need time for Thomas, Minho, and Sonya to join Newt. They stood to his left and right., observing the pile of ruins beneath them. Thomas frowned. He imagined a basement. He hoped the room was wide so if Clarisse was there she would get enough air even though it fully covered by the ruins.

“That’s why you need us, dude. You’re lucky to have two strong guys by your side. Let’s do it!” Minho reached out. His hands gripped a big ruin.

Newt got closer to Minho. He help him to move the ruins. Thomas helped with another ruins. Sonya was about to lift a smaller ruin as Minho interrupted her.

“It’s the guy’s job. Don’t let your perfect hands get dirty because of these klunks.” Minho winked.

Thomas and Newt automatically exchanged glared. They both smiled and shook their heads.

“I bet you don’t have no idea what the girls could do in the Glade.” Sonya ignored him. She lifted the ruin and moved it, making Minho and the others widened their eyes. She really could lift that heavy thing.

They spent forty minutes or so until the area around them got sterilized from the ruins. Instead of seeing the carpet that covered the floor or the ceramics, they saw the wooden floor. That must be the door which led them to the basement. Newt confirmed it by knocking the wood.

“Clare? Are you there?”

“Newt? Is that you?” Clarisse answered quickly.

Just like Newt, Thomas and the others sighed in relief. She was okay. Thomas wondered she could keep silent while they’d making noise above her.

“Yeah, it’s me!” Newt swung the wooden door.

They could see her. Clarisse stood beside the staircase. She quickly walked up. A little bag in her hand raised Thomas’s curiosity. Whatever the things stuffed in that bag were certainly important for her or even for the group—she wouldn’t dare to risk her neck if those weren’t.

“What do you thing you’ve done, slinthead?” Newt jumped toward her. He didn’t give her time to feel the fresh air. His strong hands caught her shoulder, pulling her into a tight hug. “You scare me to death!”

Minho placed his hand on Thomas’s shoulder. Thomas glanced at him. Minho smirked, then aimed his face to Newt and Clarisse. Thomas nodded. Just give him time.

“I’m sorry, Newt. Can you let go of me? I can’t breathe.”

Newt loosened his hands. His face blushed as he realized there were three couple of eyes  were locking at Clarisse and him. When his eyes met Minho’s, he saw Minho’s lips widened.