Chapter 27

22.12.12

-----------

1.44

Vince led them to another door which Thomas thought was a wall. Everyone ran through the door, except Thomas who stood watching them. He hadn’t decided whether he had to trust Vince or not, confused. He turned his face to look at the door he entered prior. The door was shaking because some people were pounding upon it.

“Thomas, what are you waiting for?”

Thomas was too busy with his own mind. He didn’t realize Minho approached him until his hands was pulled out by the Asian kid. They were the last who ran past the door.

There was nothing special with the room they entered, unless dark blinded their eyes. Not long until the ‘click’ sound heard and the one and only lamp turned on. Thomas saw a door. He was sure Vince would get them there.

Not Vince, but Frypan who guided them to that door. A car was parked right in front of the door. They immediately got into the car. Vince sat on the driver seat, soon he took the car away from that place, running from WICKED—the group which likely went after them. A jeep came from nowhere chased them. Vince apparently had a good ability in driving a car. The car went so fast, leaving that jeep a dozen miles behind.

***

Thomas opened the door after the car stopped. They had just passed through the Denver’s gate. A Berg stood not far from them. He didn’t hesitate to say that was the Berg they used to get to Denver a couple days ago.

“That the bloody thing which will bring us to the buggin’ home, Tommy?” Newt lined himself with Thomas, staring at the Berg.

Thomas glared at Newt. A wave of happiness crashed him as he saw Newt’s expression. The blonde showed a little excitement, very genuine though. He forgot when the last time he found out such that expression on Newt’s face was.

“The others are waiting inside the berg,” Vince told, pointing at the cargo door.

At the moment, Thomas decided to fully trust Vince. Vince might have regretted his all mistakes. Now he truly wanted to redeem himself.

“We’re going home, Newt,” Thomas nodded firmly. His lips curved a big smile.

“Yeah,” Minho slapped on Newt’s shoulder. “Come on!”

The three walked in a line. A boy who was in the Berg hunched down, welcomed them. It was Gally, followed by Hans, Brenda, Jorge, and the other kids. One by one, Thomas could see his friends were safe, just like Vince had told him. Relief filled his chest, pulling the corner of his lips out.

“Thomas!” Brenda ran toward him. Arms circled around his shoulder. Thomas hugged back. “It’s good to see you back. Perfect. And no scar.”

“Believe me,” Thomas let go of her, not wanting to hear any comments, especially from Minho who winced at him as he passed them. “That’s what I feel right now, Brenda. I’m so happy to see you.”

“Hi, Brenda,” Frypan greeted, smiling widely. “Nice to meet you.”

“Me too, Fry,” Brenda replied. “I miss your cook. I swear. Nothing can compare with roasted pig made by you.”

Frypan chuckled. “Before we found cheese,  mayonnaise, and others. You will absolutely ask for more plate when you try my cook.” He shifted his gaze to Newt. “By the way, Newt, since when have you closed enough to Teresa?”

“I’m Clarisse,” Clarisse answered before Newt open his mouth. “Teresa’s twin sister.”

“Oh.” Frypan nodded. Another question didn’t come although his face displayed curiosity.