Chapter 37

2.5.19

---------

That giant griever wasn't only one. From the opposite side one more Griever appeared. Thomas, Gally, Frypan, and Sam froze to see the appearance of the horrible creature. Thomas stared for a long time at their needles. He thought of something that could be injected through the needle. Viruses like Griever? Or more dangerous than that?

"Gally, run the car!" Thomas called. Gally immediately pressed the gas pedal, slammed the steering wheel. The car dived sharply before turning 180 degrees. Thomas turned around, looking back as Gally accelerated. Two. No. Three giant Grievers were chasing them. The terrifying creature ran with long steps. Their speed was able to keep up with the car that Gally drove. Their metallic legs that clashed with the surface of the road gave a loud clatter, rising through the sound of rain.

"Can we pass another way to pick up Newt?" Gally glanced at Thomas.

The car has went far enough from where it stopped. Giant Grievers were still chasing behind.

"I'm not sure," Thomas whispered softly. Horror rose from his voice, spreading throughout the room. He thought of Newt, his concern for the blond hair growing bigger every second. Every second they passed meant more drops of blood leaving Newt's body, which meant that the pain weakened Newt more and more.

"What should we do?" In the back seat, Frypan asked frantically. Gally turned the car. Thomas thought he was trying to find another route. Maybe that could be the right choice. That was what he thought until a giant Griever blocked their way.

Gally braked quickly. "This is shuck!" Gally hit the steering wheel. Frustration shared a place with fear on his face.

Strangely, the Griever didn't come close to them, like it had found its opponent. Indeed, Thomas saw three people with long guns shooting at the creature who was fighting back with those knives, claws, and needles. They dressed as Denver security guards they rarely met. He and three of his friends in the car watched with their heart beat fast. Gally didn't run the car again either — no one reminded Gally to do that. They seemed to want to know whether the three security guards were able to defeat the giant Griever with their weapons. They really saw it, terrible moments when the needles pierced one of the guards. Shrieks of pain broke from the man's mouth. Thomas fell silent with the memory of the past coming out of his head. He imagined the pain erupting every mile of his body when three Griever punched him from all directions. He tried to kick, push, and try to escape from the Griever. Two other guards tried to pull the his body who had been lying helplessly. They actually got a flick from the giant Griever saw tail, making them fall with a wide cut on each stomach. They had no chance. So was he and his friends.

"Unlock the door! I'm going to get out of this car." Thomas hesitated, but his voice was convincing.

"What? You're shuck, Thomas!" Gally shook firmly.

"You will be killed," Frypan added.

"Yes, it's better than all of us dead," Thomas replied reluctantly. This is what he didn't want, involving people in danger because of him. Yes, since the beginning it was because of him. "I will distract them. You go find Newt!"

"You?" Gally widened his eyes. His eyebrows raised. He looked underestimating rather than disbelieving. "Come on, your thin body, your fragile bones? Distract the attention of a creature with a saw tail and needles that are ready to pierce your entire shuckin' body? You will die before you know what it does to you!"

Thomas didn't let his eyes find Gally's. He looked at the Griever in front of him. The Griever finished with the three security guards and was looking for a new opponent. Every second they waste, giving the Greiver chance to find them.