Chapter 39

10.5.19

---------

372

"What happened to Minho?" Thomas repeated the question. "Josh?" He had to grab Josh's shoulders to steal his attention. "What happened to Minho?"

"He ... he's crazy, Thomas. Hans untied him, then he got messed up. Attacking people, then he's leaving. We're running after him."

"Oh, shuck!" Thomas spat. He started walking, but Josh blocked his way. Thomas raised his eyebrows. He thought, he had to help the others to catch Minho before anything worse happened.

"Thomas, Gally won't be able to fight that vicious creature alone." Josh said. His face showed plea and fear at once.

Thomas turned back to the giant Griever place. Sam was still in control of the creature. Gally was struggling to let him go, fighting against the creature's horrible hands. Was that not hallucination?

"Thomas, help me!" Gally used his new weapon to fend off giant Griever's hand attacks, only to get the next attack. He must move very fast to avoid Griever's hands.

Josh had run towards the battlefield. Thomas turned to the direction Minho was walking. His heart thumped rapidly against his ribs. Some people were chasing Minho. Thomas hesitantly made his way towards Gally. He quickly found himself just a few feet from the Griever. When the Griever's needles and pinchers tried to reach him, Thomas deflected them with his weapon. That was when he really realized he wasn't hallucinating.

"Shuck it!" He cursed his folly in distinguishing hallucinations and reality. He saw Sam was still grabbed by Griever. That was where he headed. He tried to break the Griever's metallic hand with his weapon.

A loud ringing sound was heard when the two metals collided. However, that wasn't enough to break it. He didn't stop at the first try. Twice. Three times ... meanwhile, Gally struggled to avoid the Griever's hand who tried to hurt him and Josh could only use his gun to shoot.

His weapon failed to make the Griever's metallic hand break. Thomas took a deep breath, preparing to do the crazy thing that flashed in his mind. He climbed one of Griever's feet. Instantly, he got an attack. He managed to fend off every attack, assisted by Gally who had absolutely no ideas for what Thomas did and clearly whatever the idea was, Gally didn't like it. He had no choice, but helped Thomas.

Thomas could hang with one hand. He returned his legs to Griever's feet, continuing his attempt to climb. It wasn't easy to reach the top of the giant Griver's body, but Thomas managed to do it. He rested on the animal part of the creature.

"Josh, no!"Thomas turned his face. He saw Josh had pierced by the Griever's needle. His legs immediately felt weak seeing Josh was lying unconscious. He couldn't think of all the bad things that might happen to Josh after got stung by the giant Griever and he didn't know at all whether Hans had a serum that could cure him.

One of Griever's hands approached him. He parried the it. With all his strength, he thrusted his weapon into the creature's body. He could feel the tip of his weapon touching something hard. He pulled his spear, creating a wide incision. There it was. He saw it, some colorful cables connected to a metal tube. Without hesitation, he cut off the cables and smashed the metal tube. Griver did his last move by snatching his tail at him. He couldn't completely avoid the saw blade. His shoulders got sliced. Pain arised as the result. Then, the giant Griver died. Really dead.

"You do it, Thomas!" Gally shouted from below.Gally fired his gun. No doubt, he was trying to distract the Griever from Sam who was trapped in the car. The Griever quickly found Gally. Receiving a barrage of attacks from Gally, the Griever finally turned around, accepting Gally's challenge. Hallucinations, Thomas decided inwardly. He returned his attention to Josh who stood motionless with his mouth open.