Chapter 38

6.6.19

366

---------

A very hard hit sent him tumbling to the ground. Then, the pain spread on his body, centered on the left calf. It really hurt. His eyes closed automatically to dealt with the pain. There was a scent of blood. He only sensed it for a moment. The blood must immediately mix with the rain, making it more runny and lose its aroma. Gunshot. Many times. Thomas still processed everything when two hands grabbed him. He hadn't really got on his feet, those two hands had pulled him, carried him running. Another gunshot

Thomas opened his eyes. He was with Gally and Frypan. In front of them, the giant Greiver moved his six hands, trying to hit them. One of the Griever's pinchers and needles almost hit them. Gally and Frypan made quick movements to avoid them. Thomas blinked his eyes. Newt had disappeared. He groaned softly. Hallucinations again. He buried his curiosity over everything that caused him to experience hallucinations. There was no time.

"Can you walk?" Gally asked while he was firing. Thomas worried Gally would run out his ammo before they defeat one giant Griever because he kept firing.

"Yes." Thomas let go of Gally's and Frypan's hands. His left leg throbbed in pain when he started walking backwards with them. Thomas stole a glance at his leg and saw the incision.

"What happened to you, Thomas? Is that called self-sacrifice?" Frypan's voice raced with rain and his breath.

"I don't know." Thomas lifted his gun, but he didn't fire. "Keep going backwards. Bring the beast to the intersection."

Gally stopped firing. He followed the others, turned, then ran fast. They immediately made a formation. Thomas and Frypan split to the left and the right. Gally joined Frypan on the right.

The Griever made a surprising move, crawling on the building on the left, then jumped to the right. Instantly, Thomas lost the space between him and the Griever. he moved back and fired once. The bullet pierced the giant Griever's skin. He wasn't surprised the giant Griever just roared and instead moved closer to him. Of course, it wasn't the pain that made the Griever growl. The creature was like a robot that couldn't feel the pain.

On the other side, Gally lifted his gun. Frypan did the same thing. Thomas tried to find their eyes, then shook his head at them. Gally didn't obey the instructions. He shot his gun. The bullet hit the Griever saw's tail, it didn't hurt that creature at all.

"Both of you, go find Newt!" Thomas shouted before he turned around and immediately ran fast.

Besides the clatter of Griever's feet, Thomas heard footsteps joining the sound of water splashing. He felt a little relieved that the sound was getting weaker. His two friends, now obey the plan. Now, there were only him and the giant Griever.

His injured leg was very painful when he ran. He couldn't use his maximum speed and the Griever was getting easier to chase him. He understood that running straight on the road wouldn't give him a good chance. He could be a little more fortunate to enter one of the buildings on the side of the road. However, he didn't know whether the building on his right and left was locked or not, only would give Griever a lot of opportunities if he kept busy tricking the locked door. In addition, he didn't want to give a big risk to anyone in the building. The quiet he felt wasn't enough to prove that no one was inside the building on his right and left.

Thomas turned left, then quickly turned right. He chose to face the Griever by playing chases, moving zigzagging until the Griever lost track. Slithering fast with its long legs, the Griever always appeared right after he had turned. He seemed to have to increase the speed ten times or more so that he could widen the distance as far as possible. Not caring about the pain that burned his calf, he tried to run faster. Oh, my legs. Faster, trying hard don't care. This pain. He passed three turns quickly. Fourth turn. Before the Griever appeared, he had turned again.