Chapter 7

Thomas couldn’t sleep. He couldn’t stop thinking about the possibility of Newt-still-alive. He didn’t give a damn for the opposite. Even though he hesitated that Newt really didn’t get the Flare, he chose to believe in Sonya. Newt immune! He utterly didn’t have any ideas, though. Mentally and physically Newt looked like someone who caught the Flare and would change into a Crank soon. However, WICKED had so many tricks, right?

On the other side, Thomas couldn’t thoroughly ignore the worst possibility. The circumstance in Denver at that time led to a horrible conclusion, Newt died. The Cranks were vicious. They attacked whoever they met. Plus, the guards might be fight back the Cranks. Newt was similar to the Cranks. If the guards had gun, and one of them find Newt ... Or the worst, Newt killed himself.

I have to get back to Denver, Thomas insisted himself. Everything he thought were only possibilities, good or bad. He needed to figure that out. If Newt really saved, he would need help for sure. Newt wouldn’t be good living together with those Cranks. He had to find Newt, then took him to the Safe Haven somehow.

***

Dawn touched the Safe Haven. The Sun slowly crept. The light shone between the mountain, spreading through the valley of towering trees, the hill, until the beach. The grey swept from the sky. And blue became clearer, competing with the blue of ocean.

People were scattered around, working their own job. Minho had just gathered the Keepers. He called a gathering, just like he announced the day before. Without Thomas who was staying at the Nursing Homestead. They discussed about the Wire-tric, including appointment Aris as the Keeper, and election some people for that job. They also talked about the plan to go out there again, which decided that they wouldn’t go in the near future. At least, they need a few weeks to prepare fighting the Cranks.

At the Nursing Homestead, Thomas barely heard the working sound, waking him up from his short sleep. He opened his eyes. The room was bright. The sunlight pass through the gap of the wooden wall, making his skin warm. Before he got his whole consciousness, he closed his eyes. He was still sleepy.

Several second passed. Despite his eyes were closed, Thomas couldn’t back to sleep. He tried to relax, tried to sleep again and again. Instead of sleep, sleepiness has gone away. He finally gave up. He let his eyes open, then sat up.

“Hi, Thomas.”

Thomas turned his head to see Harriet smiled at him. Her face was brighter. She also looked better. “Hi. How do you feel?”

“Better. I think I will get back to my job, guarding people with Jorge and the others very soon.”

Thomas was so happy to hear that. The medicine really worked, and Clint did his part well enough.

“How about you, Thomas? I think you had a party with a pack of Cranks.” Harriet said with smile.

Thomas chuckled. “Too bad you weren’t there to witness me fought against those Cranks. They seemed to easy to defeat. Now, I feel good.” At least, he got his energy back. He should only bear a little ache all over his body.

“Oh yeah. If you were the one who fought that wolf at the woods few days back, the wolf would die before it knew who its opponent was, Hercules.”

Thomas was stunned. The way Harriet called him reminding him to someone. Only one person who had called him by that term.

“Thomas?” Harriet asked. Her face showed anxiety. “Are you okay?”

Thomas shook, trying to throw a piece of his memory away. “Um ... sorry. I just ... hungry.” He didn’t lie at all. Awake for almost all night made his guts need some food. “Have you had breakfast? Or should I take any food for you?”