Chapter 23

Oktober 7, 2018
-----------
Hope you enjoy this chapter, Shanks.
-----------

Thomas could hear his own heartbeat, pounding so hard. Fear gathered in his throat, making him breathe heavily. He didn’t think about anything, unless the death. Wonder how hurt he would be before the death took him away.

A horrifying jolt was felt by Thomas as the back of the car landed on the road. A cracked sound of the metal indicated it was broken. His whole body was in pain and rigid. There was no time to try moving his body. The car flipped down. Once again, the pain washed all over his body. But, yet he felt his heartbeat, pounding hard his chest.

Thomas turned. Minho looked horrible. The cold sweat ran down his forehead. His face whitened. Fear trapped in his eyes. He didn’t hope himself would look as bad as Minho was. However, with the fear glued on every cell in his body, he hesitated his face wasn’t a little paler than Minho. The boy realized there were a couple of eyes staring at him, so he stared back.

“We’re alive!” Minho’s voice competed with his breath. His lips widened. Eyes narrowed. The dimples formed on both of his cheeks. Fear slowly disappeared as his smile turned on. A genuine smile, showing they’re really alive.

“Good that.” Thomas nodded. Luckily, his voice was steady though fear still hung on his throat. He attempted to calm his mind as fas as he could.

“Newt’s probably going crazy if he thought we died.” Minho shifted his eyes. He kicked the door, put his leg on the road. This time, there was nothing prevented him got off the car.

Thomas did the same. His knees shook a bit as he got on his feet. He needed a second to steadied himself without his hand hold on the car. He craned his neck, searching for Newt. No one there.

The fear didn’t fully escaped from him. The fact that his gaze couldn’t catch Newt didn’t help at all. On the contrary, he felt worse. Whomever the person that deliberately threw that thing so the car fell down from the bridge wasn’t definitely a good one for Newt.

“I have a bad feeling,” Minho stated, affirming Thomas’s fear.

Thomas lifted his head again. He hopped this time would find the trace of Newt. Nothing. Instead of seeing Newt, he found something else. He heard some footsteps. A dozen footsteps. A moan, whimper, and whine followed. Those sounds signified the bad thing. Thomas tilted his face, seeing Minho with the edge of his eyes. Minho thought of something bad too. It was deja vu. They recognized the signal. They both looked back. A pack of Cranks were approaching them with long and fast step.

Thomas was about to run away from those Cranks as he heard the gunshot. He spontaneously bent down, thinking it aimed to Minho and them. Apparently not. The gun was firing the Cranks behind them. Once he could finally saw the man who kept on firing, relief smashed his anxiety. Newt. The Blondie was running toward them, lifting the gun.

“Run! Tommy, Minho, get away from them!”  Newt’s still firing. Whine and cry filled the air when the bullets met the targets.

Thomas and Minho didn’t waste time to think. They quickly ran, joining Newt. The Cranks ran after them. Newt stepped back, hand pulled the trigger, trying to stop the Cranks. Thomas thought he chose the right way until he saw a bunch of Cranks showed up in front of them. He and Minho used their each gun, shooting toward the Cranks, making Newt a little startled. There was no time to turn left or right. The Cranks closed their way. They pressed against the other’s back. The Cranks surrounded them, forming a circle.

“Shuck! They seemingly want to eat us. What do we do now?” Minho broke the silence. His second sentence sent fear to Thomas.

The circle became smaller. The space among them was only several feet.