Chapter 15

Thomas took several steps backwards. He sat down beside Minho, leaning his back against the wall. His head bowed, fighting the urge to look at the girl. Newt's right, Thomas ensured himself. Teresa has gone. He saw that worst moment with his own eyes. That girl wasn't Teresa although they both look very similar.

"Who are they, Newt?" The girl let her eyes wander, scanning Thomas and his friends one by one.

"They're my friends. Come on, follow me!" Newt grabbed the girl by the arm. He sat beside Thomas, and the girl  was beside him. He needed a moment to start his story. "Guys, this is Clarisse. I know you  think she's Teresa. That was what I thought the first time I met her. But, she's not her for sure."

Clarisse only nodded. She didn't release a word, seemingly let Newt tell his friends the whole story, about herself included.

Thomas still lowered his eyes. Clarisse made him hard to restrain all of the memories about Teresa. Every moment, as long as the memory he got, flashed in his head.

It was right, Teresa betrayed him. Indeed. However his last memory about her made a piece of that bad memory meant nothing. All he could remember about Teresa were some sweet moments. Longing easily sharpened, slicing his heart wildly, making pain spread throughout his body.

"Tommy, you okay?"
Thomas lifted his head, seeing Newt, Minho, Sonya, and Clarisse were staring at him. Even Gally. Only Brenda and Jorge who didn't. They both had disappeared. Thomas utterly didn't have any ideas where they were. Something pricked him in the heart. Brenda. Once again, he hurt her.

"Wake up, Thomas!" Minho spoke near his ear, making Thomas barely startled. You're really a daydreamer."

"Sorry. I just ... It's confusing." Thomas shrugged. His forehead folded and his expression insisted his words. "I'm sorry Newt. I should be happy to see you. That's definitely what I feel right now. I am so glad. I just ..."

"I know, Tommy." Newt nodded firmly. "You can deal with this slowly."

Thomas's gaze found Newt's eyes. His friendly look sent Thomas serenity. Newt absolutely understood him. He let out a long sigh, then nodded. "You're right, Newt. I am really sorry. I shouldn't ruin our big reunion."

"It's okay, you shank." Minho elbowed him in the gut. He grinned, making his eyes half closed.

Thomas nodded, the only thing he could do. "So, tell us the whole story, Newt!" He begged.

Newt nodded. He tilted his head to look at Gally. "What're you doin' there, Gally? Don't you wanna join us, shank?"

"Well. If you think so." Gally shrugged. He left his place to approach Thomas and the others

"The third trial." Newt began. With that the light in his eyes extinguished. He looked at the distance, breaking through the wall, trying to reach something farther, something worse. "It was definitely crazy. They tortured me with some Flare virus that they'd mutated. I couldn't refuse of course. Willing or not, I was their experimental rabbit. They observed my reaction against that virus. Before the virus caused a very bad damage on me, they gave me the serum. They let me healed only to make me a host for the other viruses."

Thomas felt the tremor of fear slid down his throat. He was in the white room with food served three times a day. It was good enough, compared to Newt's third trial.

"But, that was not the worst part. They used me to get you, Tommy. That was the worst." Newt's eyes lingered to Thomas. Guilt covered his face.

Thomas looked back at Newt. He couldn't believe what Newt thought of. His trial was the worst, he thought. Meanwhile, Newt thought worst part was related to him. Newt thought too much about him instead of himself.