Chapter 28

14.1.19

-----------

1.72

First morning at the Berg. They’d just finished their breakfast. Jorge back to the engine room with Gally and several boys, fixing the Berg. He told, he needed one more step to make the Berg working.

Minho and Newt were with the kids the Right Arm escaped from WICKED. They shared what they knew about WICKED, the reason running away from WICKED was good. They also talked about Safe Haven and all the crap about building the society. Clarisse was there too, cheering up the kids when Hans and Brenda helped some injured kids.

Harriet and Sonya were at the main room. They’re always together. It’s a bit weird for Thomas to see their interaction, as if they hadn’t met for years. But, then, he thought he would do the same if he was Harriet or Sonya, especially Harriet. The girl had no idea about what happened to everyone who went to Denver, including her best friend from Group B, Sonya.

Thomas found himself sat on the cargo door. He could hear all the words from Harriet and Sonya, but chose not to involve himself to the conversation. His eyes wandered around, then stopped at the Denver’s big wall.

The wall reminded him to the maze. He still clearly remembered the night Minho and him trapped in the maze: when they got the Grievers jumped off the cliff, the tears he felt after that creepy moment, Alby ... all the memories were so clear. Luckily, he didn’t cry because the next memory that came up his mind was about Chuck. It stirred his stomach so bad that he felt sick. He’d never forget what he’d promised the boy. Refusing the strong impact of the memory, he sighed deeply.

Something’s gonna happen. The words suddenly formed in his head. He cursed himself for that. No way he would be paranoid anymore. Everything’s gonna be okay. He said the counter words firmly, again, again, and again, just like a spell, hoping it would be slightly calm his mind.

He moved his gaze toward Vince and his four colleagues.  They sat facing the Denver’s wall with gun gripped in their each hand. They were the first people who would fight if there was attack from inside the wall.

Thomas was watching them. Four of them wore the same suit as Vince’s. That meant, only one who was immune. Before breakfast, Vince told him, the suit was a product of the collaboration amongst chemist, biologist, physicist, and clothes designer. It equipped with oxygen tube and some pipe in order to recycle oxygen by chemical reaction so they could always breathe even though no access for the air to pass through the material of the clothes.

With his lack of memory, Thomas didn’t know all the things he did for WICKED in detail. He wasn’t sure whether he’d ever seen or done mapping the killzone pattern. What he knew, Flare really became a complicated problem. The virus probably already shut the whole life down without the munnies. He was curious about something in the munnies’s brain that made them different. What do we have in our brain so Flare couldn’t infect us? Is there any kind of gen mutation? However, it didn’t mean he still had the same thought with WICKED. There was no cure. And finding the cure by killing people was a big mistake.

He stopped thinking. From now on, his focus was only to get back to Safe Haven, bring all the munnies, and to built a new life there. It was the best way to save the world from the extinction of human population.

“How bad the trial have you guys passed?”

“Huh?” Thomas turned his face and saw Clarisse was sitting at the edge of the Berg floor. Her legs landed on the cargo door. He didn’t realize how long she was there.

“Yeah, how bad? The wall reminds you to the maze, doesn’t it?” Clarisse jumped off his place to join Thomas sitting on the cargo door. Not exactly. She walked past him, stopped two feet away from the door. She solemnly stared at the wall for a few second, then turned to see Thomas.