Chapter 18

Silence felt more frightening. Their ears became very sensitive. The sound of splashing water easily sent them fear. Thomas's eyes found some rats caused that sound. Meanwhile, far behind, there was no one there, as long as his eyes could see. Whoever shot the gun, he had to be at the tunnel.

"How do you think, Tommy?" Newt broke the silence, making everyone stared at him, then Thomas with such a 'need-solution' look.

Thomas turned his face to see Newt gave him a serious gaze. Lucky for Newt. He'd just thought about the plan. "It's a bit risky."

"I'm sure we better take 'a bit risky', than much." Thomas saw what he liked from Newt, belief and trust. "Tell us what the plan?" Newt demanded undoubtedly.

"We have to attack them first," Thomas started. He took his eyes to the back of them, motioning the tunnel that sent them there. "They're exactly there, at the tunnel. Compare to the tunnel, this place gives us more space to move. It's good for us."

"I like the plan." Newt nodded to Thomas. A slight of smile covered his face. Newt only let optimist formed his expression, no doubt, neither fear. If he tried to ensure the others to keep being optimist, Thomas sure he did it.

"I think we have to make two groups. First group attack them first and second group find the way out." Minho suggested. His threatening eyes showed he wanted to be in the first group.

"That exactly what I think." Newt nodded. "Sam, you lead the others to the way out! Jorge and Gally with Sam. I believe you two can protect the other. Minho and me will atack them." Newt finished giving his comand.

Thomas found himself confused with the command. He needed a second to wait Newt called his name. But, Newt didn't. "Newt, I think---"

"Kevin, give me the light!" Newt didn't give a damn about Thomas. He got the light from Kevin, then turned to start walking with Minho.

"Newt I---"

"What are you waiting for, Tommy?" Newt cut him off. "You have a pistol, don't you? Let's attack them. This is your plan. So, it better works."

Thomas nodded obediently, smiling inwardly. Newt didn't forget him. It was good because he wanted to punch them---or for that time, shot them. He didn't plan to kill someone, but shot them on the leg.

"Newt, you forget about me!" The protest came from Clarisse. She obviously wanted to join Newt's group. Thomas could smell the grudge from her. He could understand the reason. Same hatred, same rage, just like what he felt when WICKED took Chuck from him.

"Edward won't be happy if I take you with us, Clare. Wait at the door!" Just that what Newt said. Plain and clear.

Newt turned, continuing his step. Minho right beside him. Thomas joined them. The three boys marched to the tunnel. With that, Kevin led the others to the way out. The sound of the splashing water followed their movement.

"Couldn't be patient to shoot your gun, Dude?" Minho elbowed Thomas in the gut. His grin made Thomas realize the the world was still normal.

"Actually I prefer to break their hands and leg with my own hands." Thomas added a small smile.

"Let's see, how many you can handle, Tommy." Newt glared at him with a challenging look.

"I'm sure I can handle a little more than ya, shank." Thomas said confidently.

Newt only smiled. The conversation ended. They almost reached the tunnel and they could see the light came from there, hit the wall across them. They walked slowly, sticking their bodies to the wall. Minho led them. He stopped right beside the hole of the tunnel. The sound of the heavy footsteps achoed the room. Minho bent down, sneaking to the other side. Newt followed him, but stop right beneath the hole of the tunnel. Thomas took Minho's place.