Prologue

"I, Elliot King is here to take responsibility for my friends' actions yesterday. Please don't harm them." I said in as steady a voice as possible when faced with Osher.

My three friends hid behind me. I could feel them trembling behind me. Who am I kidding? Maybe I was trembling too. These fools! Our parents have forbidden us to go anywhere close to Osher's house. Osher by the way is a gangster who lives close to our houses. He had this huge land at the end of the lane, that looks kind of spooky at night with overgrown grass and warehouses.

Then there is the huge garage with long chains hanging from the ceilings. During the day, many bikers and his gang members hung out in the garage. His gang members look pretty scary with scraggy hair and body filled with tattoos. They also smoke a lot. The police also visit them quite a lot. I heard Osher was jailed fifteen times already and that he eats kids for breakfast. It's scary.

Osher's house is certainly not a place to traipse into. But stupid Fabian suggested a thrill run in his house and my other thick headed friends agreed. I leave them alone for one day and this happens! I thought in annoyance. Why were they sooo stupid? I wondered for the hundredth time since Eddie told me that Osher had caught them while they were snooping around his house. Of all people, it had to be Osher who caught them as well.

He had let them go last evening on the promise that our gang should come back to his house for a duel the next morning and that we shouldn't tell anyone else about it. I would have told my parents it if he hadn't threatened to kill Santa because of our stupidity. If Santa was dead we wouldn't get any presents this Christmas and I couldn't allow that. As our gang leader I knew I had to face this. But how could we have a gang fight with Osher's gang? Osher alone could kill the four of us and bury us here in his land with the flick of a finger. The mere thought made me shudder.

"Well, wow, their leader is called Idiot King." A big fat man wearing black chains and a white bandanna on his head said from behind Osher. I glared at him. I didn't care how big the man was but no one was going to mess with my name.

"It's Elliot. Elliot King, stupid." I snapped.

"Aw, look at her. She's so adorable." Osher said with a grin.

"I am not a her. I am a he." I said in an upset voice. It always upset me when people get confused about my sex. I am a boy. My dad says so. Even mum doesn't understand. Nobody understands. Only me, my dad and my gang understands it. So what if my other friends have a worm like thing from which they pee? I am yet to grow that appendage. I am only five now. It will surely grow later. It looks gross but just because I don't have it yet, does not make me a girl. I don't play with dolls. I like cars. I like to get messy and wrestle with my friends instead of staying inside the house like a princess. I've won many street fights. That's why I am the gang leader.

"Isn't she cute? Stupid King of snobs got a cute girl but what a horrid name he has given her!" Osher said and I glared at him.

"I like my name. It's a bad boy name like me." I told him and he laughed. I don't like how this is going at all, I thought my anger rising. I wanted to scream and cry for daddy. But I knew dad wouldn't hear me. We were in Osher's house after all.

"Ell, don't talk back to him. He might hit us." Fabian whispered behind my ear.

"I want to go home." Edward whimpered in a scared voice, suddenly starting to sniffle loudly.

"Oi, Osher you scared one little teddy bear." The fat man said again.

"But naughty kids should cry and learn their lesson. Come on little Ellie, cry a bit and say sorry." Osher said with a smirk. He was an African guy with dark skin and dreadlocks. His dark eyes looked at me with amusement. I was scared like my friends but I won't cry because I am a boy.