Chapter 21: On edge

I still felt lethargic as I walked towards my school locker. I had been trying my best not to sleep in class. After going home this morning, I couldn't sleep when the apartment was a mess. Levi spend all the time cleaning up the apartment. How could I just watch in that situation? So instead of sleeping I helped him and by the time we finished, it was already time to go to school. We had both hurried and come to school. I hadn't seen Levi after that since we didn't have many classes which we attended together. I had seen Kyle today but there was no sign of either Ed or Fabi. Kyle told me that they were both feeling sick. It made me feel sad. Just then someone jumped on me from behind. I gave a startled yelp and Daniella giggled.

"You are such a scaredy cat. So, Elliot, did you think over what I said about us?" She asked me and I stared at her uneasily. I didn't know how to say it but I guess I should tell her.

"Danny, actually, things are a bit messy in my life right now. I would like to focus on my friends for now and not get involved in any other relationship." I told her and she pouted.

"Friends..like who?" She asked me.

"Ed, Fabi, Kyle...and..Levi." I said uneasily at the last part.

"Levi? Since when did he become a friend?" She asked me and I winced.

"Danny, I owe a lot to Levi. So, he had become my new friend." I told her uneasily.

"Aw come on. Just because he provided shelter and food you can't say you owe him. I could easily do the same. Atleast put my name as well in the list." She said sulkily.

I smiled at her. "Okay..your name is also in my friend list. I can't be anything else for now." I told her and she sighed.

"I suppose that's okay then." She said as she chewed on her bottom lip. Just then Natalie came up.

"Hey Elliot, how's everything? It's been a while since I talked to you." She said to me. I smiled and nodded at her as I opened my locker. To my horror, a bunch of letters and worms were stuck into my locker. The word "whore" "witch" and "lesbian" was written in different post it notes stuck to the inside of my locker. Several hate notes fell out from the stuffed locker asking me to go away.

"Oh my god!" Natalie squeaked from behind me.

"What the hell? Who did this?" Daniella screamed out to everyone around us. No one answered and I just stared at my locker in shock.

"Let's go and complain to the principal." Natalie told me. Daniella looked at me worriedly. Just then Kyle rushed over to my side.

"What's going on?" He asked me and then looked at my locker with wide eyes.

"I think we should go to the principal and complain." Natalie said again and Daniella agreed. Kyle just looked as shocked as me.

For some reason, I looked around for Levi but couldn't find him among the crowd. I let Natalie and Daniella take me to the principal's room. After a while, he allowed me inside with my friends. My friends told him about what had happened. The principal sighed as he looked at me. He asked Natalie, Daniella and Kyle to wait outside as he talked to me.

"Elliot, I know this must be hard and I totally reprove this kind of activities. People have little tolerance for ones that are different from the norm. It's not your fault and I hope you don't think you are to blame for this. I will find who had done it and take appropriate action. Meanwhile Elliot, I wanted to discuss something with you. I have been getting letters from other parents saying their girls are uncomfortable to share the toilet with you. I have been ignoring it. But since it has come to this, I wanted to ask if you would like to use the boy's toilet." He asked me and I winced.