Chapter 15: Girl Talk

I glanced at the six girls seated beside me in the café close to our school. The girls kept chattering away. One of the girls named Demi said she met a guy from another school in FB. According to her, in the picture the guy looked hot but when she saw the real person, he was nothing like it. Apparently he used his friend's body and a photoshopped version of his face in his profile picture. They were supposed to meet yesterday because the guy said he loved her, but Demi had checked him out from a distance and fled without meeting him. I slurped my iced chocolate frappe silently as I listened to the girls laugh about the incident.

"Are you okay? You are very silent." Natalie asked me.

I blinked. I was just surprised they were talking about things so openly. Ed and Fabian almost always discussed some soccer matches. If Kyle was there, they discuss about some game they played. They rarely talk about incidents in their personal life. Of course, from time to time they might mention going on a date or something. But they rarely discussed what they did in them or what happened in it.

"You look very serious. What would you have done if you were in Demi's shoes?" Natalie asked me and Demi looked at me critically. I could tell she didn't really want to hear an answer to that question. Everyone was looking at me. I guess I was picked because I didn't laugh.

I was surprised at my own answer when I replied. "I guess I would have done the same as her." I heard a collective sigh of relief and Demi smiled at me.

"For a second I thought you would be like one of those uptight know it all girls preaching to me." She said. I cringed a bit. I did think she should have met the guy if only to say he looked different from his profile picture. But that wasn't what I said. It kind of left an unpleasant after taste in my mouth.

"So then..are Levi and you really going out?" Demi asked me.

"Hey, give her a break." Natalie said for my sake. I looked at them really uneasily now.

"Well, I was asking because I have a huge crush on Levi." She said directly and I blinked.

"Yeah. Elliot is a boy who likes girls. Then what is Levi doing with her?" Another girl piped in.

"Unless you were actually trying to get attention by confessing to Naomi." Another girl said and everyone went silent. I grimaced.

"I..um..well.." I stalled, looking around for help.

"I thought it was a simple question." Demi said rudely.

"Seriously guys..give her a break. Leviathan asked her out himself. I heard him saying that to Edward. Elliot though is not interested in him. Right Elliot?" Daniella asked me and I gave her a forced smile as I nodded. If anything, the girls' looks turned more hostile at that.

"Why is Levi interested in you?" Demi asked me.

"Um well, I knew him since he was a kid. He was my neighbor." I explained.

"Oh..so he is dating you out of pity because of what happened the other day." Demi asked me and I flinched. I am not sure of Levi's motives to be honest, I thought to myself. He loves me according to Richie and Hans. I didn't say it though.

"I don't think it is pity. I saw Elliot coming out of Levi's room on Saturday with him. My cousin lives on the same floor as Levi and he said he saw Elliot with Levi a lot during the last few days." A girl who was silent until then piped in and everyone, including Natalie and Daniella gaped at me. The girl smirked at me like she was pleased to drop that bomb out of nowhere on me.

I had no other choice but to explain because now, even Daniella was frowning at me. She and Natalie were the only girls truly supporting me. I didn't want them to think I was interested in a boy. So, I explained how I was thrown out and how Levi grudgingly accepted me into his apartment because I had nowhere else to go. For some reason I kept the reason why I was going out with Levi a secret.