Chapter 30: Spiked

When I could finally relax and focus on the match I realized we were behind by one goal and already twenty five minutes had passed in the second half of the match. The opponent team was fully focused on defense now and using counter attacks when they got the opportunity.

"Why is Ed still in the bench?" I heard a girl beside me exclaim. It took me a while to realize it was Ed's girl friend. She had dyed her blonde hair to brown. So I couldn't recognize her at first.

"Obviously your boyfriend is a second rated player. My Fabi has been doing so well so far." A blonde girl beside her said. It was the first time I was meeting Fabi's girlfriend.

"Why are they here?" I whispered to Daniella who shrugged and said she invited them over when she saw them with the guys. Both Fabi and Ed's girl friends were actually from the opponent school. I thought they would be on the other side. But they were here wearing matching jerseys to their boyfriend.

"Hey, why are they still not putting Ed in the match?" Ed's girlfriend turned to ask Daniella. She noticed me then and stared at me.

"You must be Elliot." She said and the other girl also turned to look at me.

"So you are the famous Elliot?" She asked as well. I smiled uneasily. Now what had the guys told their girlfriends about me.

"Fabi said you were their gang leader when you were kids." Fabi's girlfriend said.

"Actually..I am still the leader." I mumbled and they laughed.

"You are cute." Ed's girlfriend said, rubbing my bald hair. Wait! This is the worst. These girls were like a foot taller than me in their high heels. It made me feel like a little kid.

"I heard Ed is sick from Ed's mum. But he is really needed in this match to turn it around." Ed's girlfriend said with a pout. I also agreed. Both teams looked tired now and the opponent's team had already replaced three guys in the last fifteen minutes.

Just as we were wondering, we saw a substitution. The whole crowd on our side cheered as Ed entered the field. I jabbed my hand in the air and cheered with the crowd screaming Ed's name loudly. The crowd kept chanting Ed's name and I wondered how pressured Ed would feel to score. To our surprise we saw a definite game play change as entered the field. Our team worked with extra energy to score. The last five minutes were counting down and the ball pretty much remained in the opponent's goal area. The announcer kept saying it was dangerous.

Three successive corners happened and everyone waited tensely for someone to score but at the last minute the goal keeper tossed the ball far away from everyone crowding the goal area. I was surprised to see Kyle leave the goal and move in closer to the opponent's half. He sent the ball spinning back to Fabian who dribbled past defenders and passed onto Ed. The angle was very tight but there were no free attackers.

We all watched with bated breath as the defenders rushed to cover Ed. He had to take his shot fast and he did. The ball went spinning and arching in the air before in landed inside the goal from the top right corner of the goal. The crowd went crazy and we saw everyone run to grab Ed. We just became equal with our opponent with only fifty two seconds left in the second half with extra time. The opponent looked very shaken. The whistle was blown and the crowd kept cheering.

A short interval later a fifteen minute half resumed to find a winner. To our dismay two fifteen minutes halves finished and no team scored. We all watched in horror as we realized that it was going to be a penalty shoot out to determine the winner.

The team gathered together and we saw the coach and everyone go up on the field. Everyone waited tensely as we waited for the penalty shoot outs to start. Our team had to go first. We all were literally at the edge of the seat as Fabian went forward to do the first penalty shoot. With the blow of the whistle he effortlessly scored the first goal. At the opponent's turn their team captain came and scored a goal for them as well.