Chapter 11: Lab Fiasco

I glanced at Levi as we walked in to school on Monday morning. Yesterday after the car ride with Richie and Hans, it was surprisingly uneventful. Richie and Hans basically dumped me into a room that looked like a boxing practice room with boxing gear and punch bags. I couldn't ask any more questions to them until Levi came for me. They said I was welcome to visit them anytime. I ended up working out. I was able to do 16 pushups and do five sets with 10 pound barbells in that room. Then Levi had come to get me at 12. After making a quick detour home, we showered and left to buy my girl clothes and the mattress. Then at 3pm I went for my job and Levi left for his job as well. Even with Cade Pietro's threat hanging over us, life just went on. Levi wasn't back even when I went to sleep but still had woken up earlier than me. I wondered if he wasn't dying from lack of sleep, I thought as I glanced at him.

He looked fresh though and kind of annoyed as he held my hand in his. I looked warily at his hand enveloping mine. He said that was the way we were going to tell the school that we were going out without actually saying it. I still felt it was not necessary. His callused, big hand was making me too aware of my own hand. I mean my whole attention was on the hand he was holding, which makes me sort of nervous. I wish I could pull away my hands and rub it hard against something else to make the tingling feeling go away. But I resisted. Callused hands are sort of itchy and weird probably. I must be worried about my own manliness, I deduced. That's why I was thinking about the size and warmth of his hands.

My attention returned to the reality when I started hearing hushed voices and snickers. It slammed into me that I had entered the same hall in which I was shoved around only two days ago. Come on Elliot! That happened only one day. Some people tolerate it all the time and still come to school. Let's just forget about it, I told myself to cheer up.

"Is Levi holding the lesbian's hand?" I heard a girl say. I couldn't say whose voice it was as the hushed whispers became louder.

"Shameless bitch..she's now after Levi.,did she switch orientation suddenly?" I heard from among them. 

It was like a walk of shame I guess. People kept staring at us from both sides of the hallway, whispering in groups and throwing me nasty looks. I had known people would say I switched sides but Levi insisted I didn't come out as a lesbian or anything else for that matter and so it should be fine. I wondered at that though. Was he pushing his own interest over mine because he loves me? At the moment though, I couldn't fault it. He could protect me from the other guys who bullied me yesterday. My own friends are too air headed and into their girl friends to notice things going on in my life. Being with them protected me a great deal but after Friday's disaster, I needed someone close by. 

Was I being weak by accepting Levi's help? I wondered. I might be compromising my image by faking to be Levi's girlfriend but right now, I just wanted all the talk about me being a lesbian to die down. I know as a boy I liked girls because boys like girls. It was as simple as that. I confessed to my ideal girl. But after what happened, I am confused enough to want to back track a bit and think over it. I would never like boys though. I just need to find the right girl. The right girl will understand why I was faking a relationship with Levi. I am just trying to protect myself and Levi also knows that. He offered me this fake relationship for that sake. When I meet the right girl I will come out with her support. Until then, this should be okay. I hope Levi doesn't mix up his love with the real nature of our relationship, I thought uneasily.

"Did she wear her mother's curtains to school today?" Someone else asked and then laughed nastily.

"Or her great grand mother's clothes. Or she dug it out from a garbage bin." Someone replied with a snicker.

I glanced at Levi. He said the same thing when I wore the clothes. Yesterday, when I went for shopping girl's clothes I chose to shop in a second hand place simply because I didn't want to waste my money on girl clothes. I got a whole bunch of clothes for much more than my normal clothes. And as I was wary of Levi's interest in me, I had bought clothes that were baggy and covered me from neck to toe. Then I bought some lip stick and mascara.