Chapter 17: Jarring facts

I was still awake when morning came. My eyes felt heavy and I yawned tiredly. It was time to go to school and I was really hungry now. I ate a burger with Ed and Fabi in the car last night. But I felt like I was starving for a whole day when I woke up. I looked at the kitchen, recalling how Levi used to make breakfast. I peered into the refrigerator and saw a bottle of milk. I decided to eat milk and cornflakes for breakfast. Taking a shower was an ordeal and I realized I didn't have any money now after finishing dressing up for school. I didn't have enough even to take the bus to school. I looked at the cat piggy bank into which I've seen Levi drop coins. I am sure he wouldn't notice if ten dollars was missing from it if I took it. I argued with myself that it would be stealing anyway. I wasn't his wife or anything to have a right over his money.

I sighed finally, putting up an IOU note on the refrigerator for the ten dollars. I decided to call Levi and ask anyway before taking his money. His phone rang but he didn't take it. After the tenth missed call, I sighed. This wouldn't have happened if I hadn't splurged my money as Levi said. Levi was already giving me food and shelter. I was taking so much from him. Why did I have to talk to him so harshly? I asked for the thousandth time.

But just because he was helping me, I didn't have to go out with him. Then it would be something done out of a compulsion. That shouldn't be how love works, right? But then what is love? How would it work? If two people don't talk or find a way to be together how can they fall in love? I frowned. Is there the smallest chance of me falling in love with Levi? I wondered to myself. But what really is love? I looked at the book Daniella gave me. Is it doing things like what was shown in the book? I flushed.

I can imagine how doing something like that would go with Levi. I'd be like an electrocuted corpse if he does it. I mean he always makes me tingle uncomfortably. I think it's creepy. He is like an electric outlet or something. Urgh! It would never work. I never heard of anyone getting electrocuted from kissing before. He's perhaps the electric man or something. Maybe he was born with more static or he was born in an electric storm. That made sense. No wait! That makes sense only in Marvel comics. I laughed hysterically. Why was I thinking of his electric powers when I was wishing he would come home?

"Just come home, Levi." I whispered. I took my phone and messaged him about taking his money and using his food. After that I contemplated million ways of writing the words "I am sorry". I don't know why sending that message took half an hour. After sending it, I kept staring at my phone for a reply but none came. I sighed in resignation. Was he even okay? I was worried. I called him again. I didn't even feel like having breakfast, even though I was starving. My phone made the ping sound and I quickly checked the message. It was from Levi.

He simply messaged "Take as much as you want but don't waste it." 

My lips perked at that. He is such a Scrooge.  I decided to call him again. He didn't take the call. I guess he didn't want to talk. But he was alive at least, I thought with relief. I still felt low though as I took his money and left for school after drinking a glass of milk. He hadn't said anything to my apology message.

I realized only after coming to school that I had dressed in the girl clothes I bought with Levi. I wondered if I had worn them in hope of seeing Levi happy. I felt dejected as I wandered to my first class. After finishing class, Daniella pulled me back and looked me up and down.

"Why are you still wearing that? I thought we agreed that you would wear boy clothes. If you don't, people would never believe you are a boy. You need to project it." She said and I sighed.

"Wait..you are in a bad mood. What happened?" She asked me.

I looked at her desperately. "I think I really messed up with Levi." I said, taking a deep breath. I don't think I have thought so much about one person in my entire life. But it was really the first time I rejected someone's love. Maybe everyone who rejects other's love feels this way, I thought to myself.