Chapter 31: Death Knell

I looked at the school counselor talking to me about me using the boy's bathroom. It seems Natalie's mum, Silvia had pushed the school principal to do this in the name of upholding the rights of a transgender kid. When I came to school this afternoon with a letter from my mum about my sick leave, I didn't expect to be called into the counselor's office for this. I looked uneasily at the counselor, unsure about what I should say over something that seemed like a done deal.

I walked out of her office dazedly and looked at the boy's bathroom warily. I hope I never have to use the toilet in school. Rubbing my face tiredly, I walked down to my class just as the bell rang. Now there would be only one class left. Students streamed out of the classes. Something seemed odd with the guys and girls snickering as I walked past them. I looked at them with a frown until I saw Daniella with Natalie and her friends. I waved over to them as I ran up to meet them.

Natalie huffed and left, giving me a peeved look. The girls followed suit. I looked uneasily at that and turned to look at Daniella. She also ignored me for a while as she opened her locker and took out her books.

"Um, hey Danny!" I said, trying to get her attention. She looked at me with a sigh.

"What Elliot?" She asked me, looking a bit impatient.

"Why are you angry at me?" I asked her uneasily.

She closed her locker and started walking to her next class with me following behind her.

"Why do you even ask? You pretty much announced to the whole school that you and Levi are going out. I am heartbroken obviously." She said nonchalantly.

"You..don't look heartbroken and why would anyone think that we are going out?" I asked her and she shrugged. I frowned as I stepped in front of her.

"Please, tell me!" I told her.

"You are so clueless it's annoying. Forget it! Let's go to class." She said as she dropped her arm on my shoulder and pulled me along. I gave her a bewildered look but nevertheless let her drag me to class. The day progressed a bit weirdly with people giving me strange looks. I saw Levi at school but avoided meeting him or my friends. I intended to escape without being noticed. Luckily I was able to avoid detection and get out of the school with Daniella. I told her about my new home and she seemed surprised at the development. She told me she wished she could help me in anyway and asked me to call her if I needed anything. I smiled at her as I accepted a ride from her to my workplace. We were just trying to get in the car when someone called Danny.

I turned to look at a handsome middle aged man with black hair walking towards us.

"Uncle Rowan. What are you doing here?" She asked with a small frown.

He smiled at her and then glanced at me.

"I came to meet Levi of course. I went to his home and couldn't meet him. He didn't take his call either. So this seemed like the only place I could meet him." He said. I looked at the man with more curiosity. Who was this man and what did he want with Levi? I wondered.

"Ivy is going to be three next Tuesday and I want to invite Levi to the birthday. He missed the last two birthdays but I am not going to let him miss this one." He told Danny.

"You are also invited by the way. We are having the party at our house as usual at 4pm. You can bring your friends too if you want." He said, looking at me with a smile. I smiled back at him warmly. I could feel Daniella looking at me. She linked her arm with mine suddenly and said.

"Me and Elliot will definitely come to the party. Levi is in school. I agree. He shouldn't miss the party this time." She told him.

"That's his bike by the way. You can stay there if you want to meet him." Danny said, showing him Levi's bike.