Chapter 36: Feelings

Ellie's POV

"Um, perhaps it would be best if I don't say it." I mumbled.

"Then why do you expect Levi to tell you something like that? Perhaps he is also desperately trying not to show an embarrassing side of him to you." He said and I scowled in concentration. Maybe he was right.

"Some things are too hard to say out loud. If he decides to speak of his part, it would put him in a very vulnerable position with you. Already you rejected him. What right do you have to ask him for information that could put him in such a position?" He asked me.

"Yeah..yeah. I get it." I said uneasily.

"But then, it doesn't stop me from telling you what I know." He said and paused.

"Okayy.." I said, dragging the word out as I looked at his sneaky smile.

"I have a feeling you want something in exchange." I said and he sighed as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"Well, um, you see I understand what it feels like to love someone from a distance." He said, his eyes going over to my mother.

"You are interested in mom?" I asked accusingly.

"You oppose it?" He asked me and I grimaced.

"I don't know. You are a gangster." I said and he smiled.

"I would leave the gang anytime for her." He said and I stared at him.

"Since when did you love her?" I asked her and he glanced at me before looking back at my mum who was laughing to what the landlord lady said.

"Since the first time I saw her on the day she moved in to the house in our neighbourhood. Unfortunately, she was married then and I was in my last year of high school. She looked like an angel who descended from heaven." He said. I blinked in surprise.

"Why didn't you propose to her when dad died?" I asked him. He looked surprised at the question and then he laughed.

"I thought she was too beautiful to say "yes" to a person like me. I still feel nervous to be honest." He told me. I pursed my lips uneasily.

"You don't know anything about my mum. She may not be the angel you think she is. I can't allow you to hurt her because of your stupid imaginations about what she is." I said firmly.

Richie paused contemplatively as he looked at me. "I don't care what she is or what she had done. I love her and I don't really need your permission to love her." He told me.

I glared at him and he shrugged.

"Allen likes me. I can kick you out of the house on the pretext of sending you off to a good college." He said and I glared harder at him.

"You assume you can win over mum." I scowled harder, folding my hands over my chest.

He smiled at that. "Hmm..Let's see. I intend to ask her out tonight." He said.

"If she says "no" will you throw us out of the trailer house?" I asked him directly and he glanced at me.

"Hey, what do you take me for?" He asked me.

"But mum could feel uneasy or pressured to say "yes" to you because you own our home. Is that what you want?" I asked him and he scowled.

"If you care for her you would wait for a time when she gets back on her feet." I said and he sighed.

"Maybe you are right. But unlike you, I don't want to keep watching from a distance. This time, I am not letting another man take her away from me." He said.