Chapter 39: Hurdles

The next time I woke up, I was in a hospital and my mom was sobbing beside me as if I was dead or something.

"Mum" I tried to talk to her but it came out as a weak croak.

Everyone turned towards me at the sound and my mum and brother rushed over to me. I was surprised at their crying on my shoulder.

"God, I thought I lost you." My mum whispered.

"You didn't come home for two days. Why didn't you come home when you were having so much pain?" My mum asked me.

I remembered everything that happened then. I glanced around the room and saw Daniella there. She looked guiltily at me. I turned away from her.

"I am sorry mum." I whispered. Just then nurses rushed in. I was asked how I was and I told them I was feeling a lot better. The doctor who came looked serious though as she checked my vitals and then asked everyone to leave the room so that she could talk to me and my mother. Everyone left. I glanced at my mother who looked at me sadly.

"What's going on? When can I go home?" I asked the doctor.

She looked at me gently and said. "You won't be going home yet, Elliot. There are a few tests that we have to do on you before your surgery."

I frowned at that. "What tests? What surgery?"

"Your scan showed a twelve centimeter tumor in your pelvic area over your right ovary. It needs to be removed and you have to do some tests to prepare for the surgery." She told me and my eyes widened in alarm.

"But why? I had such a huge tumor? Where?" I asked in confusion, clutching my stomach. I have had on and off pains before but it was never serious. I thought it was just gas.

"Calm down. I have more to tell you. Due to the mass of the tumor, we have screened you for cancer and we suspect that you have ovarian cancer. To confirm it, during your laparoscopy we intend to do a biopsy. I have explained this to your mother." She said.

"No. Wait! Cancer?" I asked, feeling dizzy. But why? I thought in confusion.

"But why do I have cancer?" I asked dumbly because I was in shock.

"The exact cause cannot be pinpointed. But there are factors that increases the risk like genetic mutations, having a history of ovarian cancer in the family, endometriosis and use of hormone therapies for instance." She said.

"What does use of hormone therapy mean? I've been taking hormones to be a boy for a long time." I told the doctor and she stared at me. My mum looked at me in surprise.

The doctor looked concerned. "Did a doctor prescribe it for you?" She asked me.

"No. I got it from the internet." I told her.

"Does it have a name?" She asked me and I shook my head. I told her it is supposedly herbal.

"I've never heard of herbal hormone supplements." She said and then sighed.

"Elliot how could you eat just any medicine you saw on the internet?" My mum asked in an outraged voice.

"I just wanted to grow stronger and taller and grow a bigger penis." I told her and my mum exclaimed in outrage.

"You don't have a penis to make it grow bigger." She said and the doctor looked very uncomfortable.

"Do you still wish to be a boy? It might be easier if that was the case because depending on what we find, we might need to remove the uterus, fallopian tubes and both ovaries. Actually that is the standard method if we detect cancer. But for younger patients, on their insistence we could undergo fertility sparing surgery." She asked me and my mum glared at me.