Chapter 8: Normal Boy

As I sat there watching Levi someone came up to me to take my order. At first I thought of saying I came for Levi but then I was hungry. So, I decided I'd get a small pizza for myself. I checked the pizzas in the menu and ordered a spicy chicken and pepper pizza with extra cheese toppings that came with the complimentary coca cola bottle. The girl left and I resumed quietly observing Levi as he worked. He could smile quite nicely to the customers, I thought as I watched him. I wondered what I would say to him if he comes over to me. Someone cleared their throat beside me and I looked up to see the girl back with my order. It didn't even feel like a minute.

"Many girls come here just to watch him." She said with a grin.

My face turned red as I shook my head quickly and told her she was wrong about that. "I am just his..friend." I said quickly.

"I never saw him in work mode. So, I was observing. Actually, I am also thinking of finding a job. So.." I said in a rush.

"Woah..yeah I get you." She said quickly as if she thought I was being too defensive. Was I? I wondered as I looked at her.

"There will be a job opening here soon. You could work here at the cash counter. One of our friends are going to leaving." She said and I stood up in excitement.

"I can absolutely do that." I said immediately. That Levi! He didn't even tell me that there was a job opening in his workplace.

"You can talk to the manager if you want. He is the one at the counter right now." She said and left. I looked at the middle aged man sitting at the counter with a pregnant lady who looked to be in her twenties. I decided my pizza could wait as I went over to him. The man looked up as I called out to him. He smiled and looked around as if he was hoping for one of the guys to attend to me.

"I'd like to speak to you. You are the manager right?" I asked him and he said "yes" curiously.

"I heard you might need a cashier soon. I wondered if I could apply?" I asked curiously and he looked at me.

"Do you know accounting?" He asked me and I nodded as I went into the details of the subjects I studied at school. I was doing business stream subjects.

"How old are you?" He asked me and I told him I was going to be sixteen in two months.

The manager sighed at that and the pregnant lady beside him said something to him in what sounded like Italian. Well, I wouldn't be sure but the guy looked Italian to me. He asked me what times I could work and told me that I need to work every day after school hours for six hours. I said it was fine. I finished school at 2.30. So, I could work from 3pm to 9pm.

He asked me why I needed a job and whether I had worked before. I told him I've never worked before but was willing to learn. I told him that my stepfather disowned me and I need money, which was the reason why I wanted the job. The manager didn't look happy with the answer. He asked me why I was disowned and I told him what happened truthfully. That didn't go down well either.

"So you are delusional about yourself?" He asked me with a frown.

"I wouldn't put it like that." I said as I winced. The lady beside the man scolded him and then introduced herself as the owner of the place. She asked me not to mind what the guy said. The guy said something in Italian to the lady and I watched them talk back and forth before the guy gave me a resigned look.

"We can give you a temporary job for a month until we can recruit someone permanent for the job." He told me grudgingly. Some other guy walked to the cash counter with a big file and the manager introduced him as the person whose job I would be taking. Apparently that guy wanted to leave as soon as possible but was staying until they could get someone for the job. He looked happy to see me.