Chapter 35: Jealousy

Ellie's POV

The sun was shining too brightly for my likes this morning and I burrowed into my blanket, putting the pillow over my face. The windows of the trailer house made the interior too bright when the sun starts rising. My stomach cramped again and I grabbed it, bending into a foetal position in pain. The alarm started ringing and I turned it off. I couldn't go to Obivan sensei's training when my stomach hurt so much. It's been a week since Levi's little sister's party.

Perhaps this stomachache was related to it because I had been feeling very stressed lately over everything. The pain comes and goes. Sometimes it feels like there's a metallic thing clawing away inside and the way the cramps felt left me breathless with pain. Usually, after a while it subsides to a dull pain in the lower abdomen. School has even restarted but I was staying home because of the pain. I only had one more week until the start of the quarter finals matches. I have gambled my whole life on it and that made me more anxious.

Daniella had not contacted me after our last meeting. Levi calls on me every day but Katrina comes over with him every time and I would lose interest in speaking with him. I went into a restless sleep and woke up again to my brother speaking on the phone.

"Hey brat! Stop that!" I mumbled, pulling down the pillow from my face.

"You are again skipping school today!" He said with a shake of his head and I made a face at that. It doesn't feel good to be rebuked by one's little sibling.

"I don't feel good." I mumbled.

"Yeah right! You spend the whole night stalking Katrina's facebook. No wonder you don't feel good in the morning." He said and I scowled at him, feeling flustered. I swear he is older than me sometimes.

"Just go to school brat!" I muttered, throwing the pillow at him.

"And you better eat breakfast, lazy bum. You have stomachaches all the time because you don't eat and keep sleeping." He said again in the know-it-all voice only he is capable of.

"Just shut up! Can't a depressed person be allowed to mope sometimes?" I asked him and he rolled his eyes.

"What would you be depressed about? Mum is working hard to make ends meet. All you do is, attend some fight class, miss school and sleep the day away. You are a jerk to even Levi who had always cared about you. What right do you have to feel jealous over Katrina? You don't even try and all you do is mope." He said.

I sat up in bed and winced from the pain the movement caused. "Hey twerp. Don't talk about things you don't know. I am not jealous of anybody."

"Well, that's good. Because Kat is coming over tonight to the bonfire party and I am helping her bake special cookies for Levi." He said and I glowered at him. Isn't he a traitor to his own blood! I fumed at him silently.

"What bonfire party? I didn't hear anything about it." I said and Allen smirked at me.

"I bet you didn't know it's Friday either. We are having a gathering to celebrate the success of mum's shop. Levi and Richie will also come over and we will have a bon fire and barbecue by the lake." Allen told me. I nodded cautiously. Allen looked at his watch and gasped.

"And now you are making me late for school." He blamed me as he ran out of the trailer asking me to lock the door. I trudged along and locked the door before getting back into bed. I didn't feel like eating. Things just felt a little too tiresome these days. I looked at the copies of the notes Levi had taken for me on the small desk in our humble home. I still hadn't been able to even take a look at them. I hoped there were no exams. At this rate, I could be failing school. I sighed.