Chapter 4: Living arrangement

"About the living arrangements, I have nowhere to go. What should I do?" I asked him and he raised his eyebrow at that.

"Your friends don't have any place you could stay?" He asked me.

I looked around his one bedroom apartment. It looked spacious. It was one big room with a small kitchen area, sofa, study desk , chair and a king sized bed. There were two large glass window panes facing his desk that gave a view of a park outside. I'd say the place looked luxurious for a teenager to live in it by himself. I could easily fit in this bedroom, I thought. I recalled the question he asked me then about whether my friends had a place I could stay.

"No they don't. But this place looks good enough for me to stay." I told him and he gave me a "you've got to be kidding" look.

"Hey..I brought you here because putting you into a hospital felt like over kill when it was obvious that you probably fainted from stress. Besides, I asked you to be my fake girlfriend. Not live in wife." He snapped.

My lips curled at that in amusement. Oh! He doesn't like the idea. Then, I must definitely insist on it even if it's really rude. He is probably worried that the love of his life might find out about it.

"Oh! Are you worried that the love of your life would find out that I am living with you?" I asked him and he blinked in surprise. An annoyed look crossed his face.

"Just stop joking will you?" He said in an irritated tone.

"I am not joking. I have nowhere else to go. Ed and Fabian's mum hates me. And Kyle doesn't have space in his home to take me in. On the other hand you've got this huge room. How hard would it be to share it with a fellow bro?" I asked him and he glared at me. It would scare anyone lesser than me but I am used to this.

He looked like he was battling an internal turmoil.

"God, I'd not have any peace with you living here. It's a terrible idea." He said.

I rolled my eyes. "You leave me alone and I will leave you alone. I'll live like a ghost, I swear." I told him earnestly.

"Tch." He said in a disbelieving tone and I glared at him.

"I could help out. You could find me a job somewhere and I will give you 0.5% of it as rent. Or maybe 0.05%? We can negotiate up to 0.5%." I offered.

He laughed at that. "You really are a piece of work. Not only do I have to find you a job, you intend to practically live here for free?" He asked in a sinister tone.

I backed off and shrugged innocently. "I am a homeless orphan boy who needs your help. I can't afford to pay too much. I need to save for my surgery too. Besides 0.5% is very high. It's a lot higher than the bank saving interest rate..I think." I said pulling on my pleading big eyed expression that always worked with my dad.

"Your surgery..." He said and sighed. Is that all he heard from that?

"Argh! You don't understand." He said rubbing his hair in that gesture that said he was beyond irritated. I could see his resistance crumbling. He didn't know what to say to throw me out. Maybe he was having reservations because he still thinks I am a girl and would restrict his private activities. I could put his mind at ease on that.

I went over to him and slapped his biceps in that way I hoped any of his male friends would do. He raised an eyebrow at that.

"You know..you are still thinking I am a girl. I am a bro you know? If you are worried about..about.." I fumbled for that word as I continued.