Chapter 38: Happy Anniversary

A/N: Out of all the chapters I've written/will write for this fic, I've been the most excited to write this one. I guess I'm just a sucker for fluffy angst that's intensified by doggies and Beyoncé.

HOLD UP [smug face after a pun emoji]: If you're ready and you know it TAP THAT VOTE! *tap tap*

Recap (Read in Beyoncé's Voice)

Previously on DYTL...

Tea Tsunami: aka huge fight were Vero & Camila found out about Dinah's infidelity (CH...bruh if you don't remember this from the last chapter imma have to pop out like Samara from The Ring and hose you down with hotass tea myself)

Camila tells Normani about how Dinah was forced into the marriage & that Dinah might ask her for a divorce after their fight:

"I messed up her life by asking my parents to propose marriage to her family. I forced her into something that she never wanted to be a part of. The least I could do is set her free. God, I'm so stupid!" I said, burying my hand in my face in frustration.

"This isn't your fault, Normani," Ally said, yanking my hands away from my face, "I will not let you do that to yourself. All you did was love. That's all. And there's nothing wrong with that!"

But I wasn't listening to Ally, my mind was panicking at the thought of a divorce. "There are so many logistics I have to consider in case of a divorce," I rambled in a business-like manner, trying not to focus on the sinking feeling in my stomach at the thought of being away from Dinah, "F-first, I have to ask for a year's time to secure my finances." (CH 37)

Dinah is wary of love because she was fucked over by Bri, who told her that it was always better to be a heartbreaker than heartbroken (CH 31, 32)

Dinah and Normani's Convo at the boxing locker room: A heartbeat later, gentle hands caressed my cheeks, and Normani turned my face so that I was looking into her eyes. Her features softer than they were before, she softly said, "You have all the time in the world, DJ...just tell me how long I have to wait and I'll wait for you..."

My heart leapt at the sincerity in Normani's eyes and I could practically hear them saying "...I love you, Dinah..." like she did that one night two weeks ago.

But I didn't know how to tell her that her love for me was just an illusion that she'd, no doubt, been conditioned to idealize because of her sheltered upbringing. I didn't know how to tell her that romantic love itself was the most overrated, overromanticized commodity that society shoved up our asses to sustain itself. Not unlike an overhyped movie that let viewers down when they actually experienced it.

But regardless of how I felt about love, I'd been an ass by blowing her off, and I didn't want to see her hurt. So, to appease her and without really thinking about it, I said, "Just give me till our anniversary to figure things out, okay?"

"I can do that..." (CH 32)

When two women live together, their menstrual cycles usually sync up (CH...life)

Norminah are HORRIBLE at communicating with each other (CH...literally the entire fucking story)

literally the entire fucking story)