Chapter 43: At Last

A/N: HOLY SHIT! I published this story one year ago today (on mine and Vero's b'day)! What started off as a simple story, turned into a much needed therapy session as the year progressed. Talking about my personal experience with the degradation of a crush mindset/moving on from unrequited love (Normani), living with guilt (Dinah), and internalized homophobia (Camila) has helped me heal as the characters have progressed in their respective journeys. And as a result, I've become closer to myself. *cue Ally hugging herself in 'Perfect' MV*

Thank you so much for being a part of my journey. I really appreciate every single read, vote, and comment. And special shout out to all the people who've been promoting this story on social media (Epic Records needs to learn from y'all...lol)! Your support legit melts me into a puddle of happiness every time I see an unexpected promo. And it's thanks to you that DYTL has racked up HALF A MILLION reads in just one year (ahhhh)! Sorry for this long spiel. I'm just feeling so grateful right now. And that's why I've worked extra hard this week to bring you this long-ass update amidst my finals.

PS: The timeline and meanings of Lauren's tattoos in this story are different than in real life, so don't murder me. (Be nice cuz it's my b'day, bitches! #club26).

Recap (Read in Etta James's voice)

Previously on DYTL

At last was Norminah's first dance wedding song, choreographed by Val (CH 2, 3, 41)

Dinah found Normani's journal entries + Normani gave Dinah divorce papers (CH 41-42)

Norminah are still keeping up pretenses of being a happily married couple in front of their families for the next year (CH 38)

How Dinah's backstory impacted her by forcing her to close herself off to love & a forever (CH 31, 32)

Camila's dad got cancer twice: once when she was 6, recovered, and once in her teens, fatal (CH 20)

Herlinda is Lucy's mom aka Lauren's aunt aka Clara's sister (CH...recurring)

Lauren's family history: "Mom died a few months after I was born, and she never told my grandparents who my dad was, so they had to raise me. My grandparents died one after the other a couple of years ago, so it's just me now." (CH 3)

Lauren gave Camila her mom's necklace to protect her (CH 39)

Camila's family doesn't know that her and Lauren are dating (CH 33)

For the dare to end, Camila has to get Lauren to say 'I love you' to her simultaneously in front of Dinah and Vero (CH 1) + but Vero is away for study abroad so Camren's safe...for now + Vero doesn't want anything to do with Caminah (CH 37)

Halsey does tattoos (CH 17) + was the first girl Lauren had sex with + may have had feelings for Lauren (CH 39)

Camila doesn't have sex without a strap-on, which she uses to rationalize against her lesbian tendencies (CH 35)

Tiger Lilies (CH 21)

Sun & moon tattoos (CH...'You Complete Me' wattup self-promo)

-----

Camila's POV

"Camila?" I heard my mom call from the living room as I entered my house after a long day of studying and 'hanging out' with Lauren.

"Yes Mami?"

"Come here. I want to talk to you."

My heart beating forebodingly, I approached the living room cautiously. "Y-yes Mami?"