Chapter 42: ...Love, Normani

A/N: Songs help me visualize storylines, so there are a lotta songs in this fic, esp for Norminah. The song featured in the chapter fits so well. I love it. BTW start the song at 1:28. 

Recap (Read in Love, Simon's voice)

Previously on DYTL

Chapter 41 (CH...really?)

Every Norminah thing ever (CH 1-40 lmao)

Dinah's Christmas Gift to Normani (CH 21)

I Hate You, I Love You (CH 26)

Wally Rise (CH 37 & 39)

Dinah hasn't cried since Bri broke her heart 5 years ago (CH 31 & 32) + she doesn't cry or like being vulnerable in general

Normani promised Dinah she would get the divorce arranged herself within the next year (CH 38)

Norminah don't sleep in the middle of their beds, they sleep on their respective sides, subconsciously leaving the other side empty for each other (CH 38), which FOR SOME UNKNOWN, MYSTERIOUS REASON comforts Dinah when she checks on Normani at night (CH 40)

-----

November 2018

Normani's POV

"You're going to be pouring over thousands of accounts from that chair. And then when you get tired, you can stand by the window and look out over the city and think about life. You can pretend like you're in a TV show about accounting fraud and pose all cool by the window!" Dinah struck a dramatically pensive pose by the window, before dissolving into giggles.

Smiling slightly at the memory of Dinah giving me my Christmas gift, I crossed my arms and leaned against the window, looking out over the city.

Today was the big day. I'd decided to move on a long time ago, but today was the day it was going to become official. Today was the last day I was going to allow myself to think about her. Starting tomorrow, I was going to focus only on myself.

[I don't mean no harm
I just miss you on my arm
Wedding bells were just alarms
Caution tape around my heart]
—After a few moments of gazing out at the beautiful view that Dinah had picked out for me, I went back to my desk and unpaused our wedding video that I'd been watching. I was walking down the aisle, my eyes fixed on my beautiful bride. I still remembered that moment. How gorgeous she looked. How my heart leapt out of my chest when she descended the stairs and offered me her hand. How amazing it felt to hold her hand during the vows. How our kiss made me forget everything. How-

There was a knock on my door.

"Come in," I said, wiping my eyes.

"What's wrong?" Ally interrogated the moment she stepped into my office.

"Nothing," I sniffled.

But when Ally walked behind the desk to hug me, her eyes fell on the video playing on my computer. "Mani, you can't do this to yourself anymore," Ally said sternly, "You said you'd move on. How is watching your wedding video helping?"

"Today is the last day. I promise."

"And then you'll delete the video?" Ally asked, and when I didn't answer, Ally asked more sternly, "Normani, and then you'll delete the video, right?"