Chapter 7

The sun beams through the window, laying upon my face, causing me to wake, peeling open my tired eyelids. Yawning and sitting up, I notice Susie was no longer there and the sky was a lot brighter than usual for this time in the morning.
Standing out of bed, I make my way downstairs to see my parents preparing to leave, which was odd as they usually leave an hour after I've left for school.
"Mum? Where's Susie? What time is it?"
Both parents exchange quick glances before looking back to me. My father continues packing his briefcase but my mother stops to talk to me.
"Your father and I decided you shouldn't go to school today, after last night-"
"Mum it was only a nightmare."
I interrupt her, stating a fact. But she sighs and walks over to me, resting her hand on my shoulder while the other strokes my hair.
"I know [Name].. but you remember what happened before when this nightmare kept occurring don't you? We don't want that to happen again. So we think it's best you just rest for today. Susie agreed with us."
I would have interrupted her again but I trusted my friends judgment. If she agreed with my parents decision. Then I guess I should listen to them.
Nodding to my mother, she smiles and kisses my head.
"Just try and relax today. Watch TV, use your PC, have a snack. Try not to worry about anything."
"Thanks mum."
I reply with a smile. She returns the expression and makes her way to the front door with my father. I watch as they both leave until my mother suddenly pops her head back inside the door.
"Oh, and you're still going to be punished later."
What happened to not worrying about anything?
Sighing, I wave goodbye and watch out the window, waiting until their car was completely out of sight.

"Ugghh."
Groaning, I stumble over to the centre of the room and flop down onto the carpet. It had only been a few seconds and I was already bored. I hated school but at least it gave me something to do. I always say I would much rather be at home, but now that I actually am. It's boring as hell.
As I lay there, my eyelids growing heavy as I begin to fall sleepy, they suddenly slam open when I hear a short tune sound coming from upstairs. It was my PC. It always made that noise when it's being started up. That could only mean one thing.
"The virus.."
I whisper cautiously as I slowly stand to my feet and make my way up to my room.
Once upstairs, I carefully push open my door and glance over to my computer. The screen was on and a blank white document was open. As I make my way towards it. Words started to appear.

"Poor [Name]. Can't stomach the fear of a nightmare?"•

Even though the sentence was typed. I could tell that if it were to be spoken, it would sound really sarcastic and fake.
Sitting down at my desk, I take a deep breath but as I go to reply, it suddenly hit me. How would a virus in my computer know about what's happening outside it. How would it know about my nightmare? Especially if it was turned off at the time.

/"How did you know about that? You're just a virus in my computer. How could you possibly know about what's happening outside this PC?!"/

"A virus? That's what you think I am? That hurts my feelings.."•

/"WHAT ARE YOU!?"/

•"A friend? A neighbour? A stalker? A stranger? A murderer? Or hey, maybe I am just a virus."•

I freeze. Too shocked to reply. I was so confused and stunned. I didn't know how to act or what to think. This must just be a simple virus. But if that were true, how could it know so much dialect to use such specific sentences such a those. And to suggest that it could be a murderer?! What the fuck is going on..

/"I want answers. REAL answers."/

"Lets play a game. I love games."•

This was so irritating! No mater what I said, it either wouldn't answer me or would change the subject. But then I realised. I could use its reply to my advantage.
"So you wanna play a game huh.. alright.."

/"Lets play questions and answers. One person asks a question, the other replies with YES or NO."/

"That game sounds boring. But I'll play."•

/"I'll go first: Are you real?"/

•"YES"•

/"Are you alive"/

•"YES+NO."•

/"That makes no sense! How can you be alive but not alive!?!"/

•"You're breaking the rules"•

/"What?!"/

•"YES or NO question answers only."•

Groaning in anger. I couldn't help bang my hands against the table. I hated this thing and wanted it to go away. It was probably this that caused the nightmares to start again in the first place.

/"Fine. Are you Female?."/

•"NO"•

/"Then, are you Male?"/

•"YES"

I scratch my head as I stare at my screen. The thing is real, alive yet not alive but identifies as a male. This makes no sense! How could any of it make sense? Viruses don't have genders, viruses aren't alive and viruses shouldn't know about rules and to know when one is being broken!
"What am I gonna do.."