Chapter 9

Niall’s POV:

I woke up to the sound of knocking on the door. I sighed and turned to look at the clock on the side table. It was only five in the morning.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes, then quickly slipped a shirt on and went to open the door.

“Good morning Niall,” Nathan said, smiling and looking like he’d been awake for hours, “If you could get dressed and come join me for breakfast and then we’ll let you try out the tablet, sound good?”

“Uh, yeah,” I said, stifling a yawn. Nathan smiled a little.

“I’m sorry to wake you up this early Niall,” he said, “But the more time you have to test out the tablet, the better.”

“No, it’s okay,” I said, “That’s what I’m here for.” Nathan gave a little nod and walked away. I closed the door and got properly dressed and when I opened the door, there was a guard outside.

“Um…”

“Follow me Mr. Horan,” the guard said, then started walking forward. I followed him as he walked and after a few turns we ended up in a dining room.

“There you are Niall,” Nathan said as he turned looked up from the table when he was eating his breakfast, “Go on and get a plate and get some breakfast.” I walked forward to the table where there were numerous breakfast foods laid out on the table. I took an empty plate and just put a donut and hashbrown on the plate. Nathan motioned for me to sit down next to him and I sat down in the chair on his right.

“Again, sorry for waking you up so early Niall,” he said, “Eat up, then I’ll take you on a quick tour of the company before you test out the tablet.” I nodded and took a bite of the donut. Nathan and I sat in awkward silence while we ate. It wasn’t long before I’d finished and while Nathan kept eating I looked around the room.

The dining room table was long, stretching from one end of the room to the other, chairs lining the sides and a chair at each end. There was a double door on the left side of the room and the door I’d come through was at the opposite end of the room.

Nathan had finished eating and we left the room and Nathan led me on a tour of the company. He showed me rooms filled with new gadgets, things that I’d only seen in dreams or in spy and superhero movies. There was a room with eReaders that were see through and computers with see through touch screen monitors. Another room had a 3D interactive holograph and some other machine that I had no idea what it was even used for.

We’d been walking around for about an hour when we walked past another set of double doors. Nathan had shown me every room we walked past so I was a little curious as to why we weren’t going into this one.

“Nathan,” I said, “What about this room?” I pointed to the doors and Nathan turned to see what I was talking about. His eyebrows furrowed and he shook his head.

“You don’t want to know what’s in there,” Nathan said, “Trust me, it’d be better if we didn’t go in there.” I nodded slowly, believing what Nathan said but growing suspicious.  What could be in that room that was so bad? Nathan turned around and we continued walking.

“We should head over to have you try out the tablet,” Nathan said, “You’re going to love it, you know those eReaders you saw? It’s looks like that only it can do so much more. If you like it I can probably pull some strings and let you take it back on tour with you.”

“That’s very nice Nathan,” I said, “But you don’t have to-”

“It’s nothing,” Nathan said, “You could probably spread the word about the tablet easier if you brought one with you.” I nodded, not bothering to say anything else on the subject.

Nathan led me to a room that just looked like a living room. There was a couch in the middle of the room with a table right in front of it.

“Stay here and get comfortable,” Nathan said, “I’ll be right back with the tablet.” He left the room and I sat down on the couch. It was only a minute before Nathan came back with a clear tablet in hand.

“Here you go Niall,” Nathan said, handing me the tablet, “I hope you enjoy it.” He left the room again and I was left alone.  I looked down at the tablet and noticed the power button on the top. I pressed it and the screen glowed bright white. Before anything else loaded, I heard a click and then a picture of my face came up on screen. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked around, before looking back at the tablet. What the-

A green beam went from the bottom of the tablet’s screen to the top and back down, like it was scanning the picture and then the screen blurred and went fuzzy before patterns appeared on the screen.

… and I couldn't remember much else after that.