39. Words and Whispers

I'm so glad to be back after a striking spell of writer's block. Hope it doesn't ever come back again.
Good riddance.

BTW, happy reading! :)

Ionora's POV :

Oh hell no. I think as my so called grandfather calls me an abomination. I think the word he was looking for was 'unique'. But abomination would do too. Joking.

"What did you just call me, old man?" I taunt my voice dark and unrecognizable.

"Old man? How dare you disrespect your king like that, half-blood?" He rages, making everyone in the room take a step back. I just laugh in response.

"As you just mentioned, I am a half blood. I have no king. And apparently, I don't have a grandfather either." I replied, as calm as a thunderstorm. Everyone takes another step back. Everyone except my dear old mate.
Being the cutie patootie he is, he takes a step forward towards me but at the glare of his king, he takes two steps back. Wuss.

"Father, let me explain." My mother pleads him. He only looks at her with barely disguised disgust.

"Child , I am very disappointed in you. You created this....... thing with the very creature that stole you from us?"

In a fraction of a second, I was holding him against the wall with my hand cutting off his air supply. I didn't even remember moving an inch but here I was, halfway across the room. I could hear my mum screaming at me to stop but something was controlling me and I couldn't let go. I craved his blood on my walls, a fit punishment for disrespecting my mother as well as I.

"L-l-let g-go" His highness begged, looking nothing like the mighty king of wolves. Let go, I did when I felt my mate's comforting arms pulling me into his embrace. I felt the foreign feeling of blood thirst leave me as tiredness took its place, making me slump against Zayden's arms.

"What is happening to me?"I ask myself in a whisper. Now, let me tell you, whispering in a room full of beings with supernatural hearing is of no use.

"I think I know what's happening." My aunt steps forward. "The blood moon ritual has begun. It is making your witch side stronger and more dominant."

"The blood moon ritual? But that ritual hasn't been done for more than half a century now." Vivian interrupts her, looking confused. But not as confused as me and the other werewolves in the room.

"Can someone please tell me what in the heaven's name a blood moon ritual is?" I shout but it comes out as a strangled cry.

It was Aunt Marrise who chose to answer my question. "A blood moon ritual is a night long ceremony performed by the witches and warlocks to harness all of their powers at one go. It is usually done for a coming-of-age witch or warlock who has not yet gotten all of his/her powers yet. It is a dangerous process as magic is never usually harnessed in one go and no witch or warlock can survive this sudden access to power." She continues after a pause, giving us time to take this all in.

"A young magic user usually gets their powers over years and years of aging and practice. Which is why, the older the witch, the more powerful they are. But there are some who can't wait that long and try to gather all the power even before they are ready for it. This ritual can be performed only on one particular type of blood moon which takes place once every twenty or so years."

A tense silence settles in the room after my aunt finishes speaking. It was then that I notice that my mom had left the room with my 'grandfather' in tow. I do feel some guilt creeping in but not too much. The entitled asshole of a king deserved it. He had no right to speak like that without knowing the full story.

"So how does this affect me? I'm not the one partaking in the blasted ceremony nor am I a full blown witch." I question, seemingly filled with more questions than answers.

"That's the part which confuses me. This ritual is about harnessing magic from all sources available. The sources here being young and vulnerable magicians. This leaves them weak and powerless, which is not the case here. For some reason, you're getting stronger and more in tune with your witch side."

"Maybe her werewolf side is messing up the ritual effects?" My mate speaks up for the first time in a while. He stood beside me, ready to lend his support in case I felt weak again.

And I guess I jinxed myself because right then, I was hit with a striking pain in my head, which made me double over in pain. In a second, I was wrapped in comforting arms. But they did nothing but increase the ringing in my ears.

The last thing I remembered before giving in to the agonizing pain was someone whispering in my mind, Close your eyes, my flower. I will not let anything happen to you.

------------------

Please do vote and comment if you liked what you read. Thank you. :)

Edited - 15/01/2019