Chapter 1: This is it

"Damn, I don't feel like going in today...."  Candy mumbled as her

bedside alarm rang loudly in her ears, she swatted it with a yawn.

God knows she's been losing sleep working late nights, and the last was no exception.

She just wanted to rest. That's all Candy ever wanted to do anymore; rest. 

she stretched as her eyes squinted down at the glowing red numbers on the clock. It was 10:00 pm, and with only one hour be she had to drag herself into work. Almost  Immediately,  Candy bolted upright.  

Fuck, I'm gonna be late. She said mentally kicking herself for not getting up an hour earlier like she originally planned.

Candy groaned as she rolled out of bed and shed her pajamas, which was only a shirt, really and showered as quickly as she could. The water woke her up, easing the stresses of the previous week she let out a sigh of relief.

Maybe today won't be so bad for her she could see if her boss will let her go home early. 

Upon finishing, she reluctantly pulls herself out of the heavenly shower and dried off; spreading an expensive cherry blossom balm over her brown skin.  

She then scurried back to her room searching her dresser drawers for her best lingerie. Once her eyes spotted something hot pink and lacy, she snatched it up instantly. 

People say she wears pink too much but it's her thing.

After sliding into a pink top and a leather skirt, she eyed her reflection in the mirror and smiled in satisfaction.

Everything looked good but she was missing one little thing.

She turned to her desk, staring at the wigs adorning the mannequin heads that supported them.

Red, was the color that caught her eye for the night.

Wasting no time, she lifted the wig off of the Styrofoam mass and placed it onto her  head, going back to the mirror ,shifting it and making sure it was secure to her head just in case she had some "Disagreements" with the other girls over tips again she won't have to worry about it coming off.  Once Candy was was satisfied. She grabbed her phone and keys, looked at herself once more, and exited her bedroom.

As she began walking out of the apartment, her phone vibrated in her purse, starling her. Quickly digging through her purse she pulled out her phone and glanced at it. l; it was her co-worker, Sierra.   "Yo," Candy murmured, answering the call. 

"Candy, girl, where you at? It's starting to get mad packed in here, and we the only bartenders for the night." Sierra shouted over the blaring music. Candy sighed, feeling stress rising just by hearing the racket."

"I'm comin', just tell Michel Imma to be a few minutes late," she replied back to Sierra.

Alex was sitting in a truck looking across the street at the packed and fully alive building

"Are you sure she here man?" 

His friend Troy asked as he passed a  blunt to him  Alex took a quick hit and exhaled the smoke out?

"Yes, she's here" he explained.

It's been 2 months since Alex has seen or heard from his ex Candy. She thinks she can just do whatever the fuck she wants he was going to show her that he loved her and he will take her back.

"Come on," Alex said, to Troy as he opened the glove compartment in the car and grabbed his gun putting it in his grey hoodie.

20 minutes later Candy was down the road from juicy's a strip joint. Her phone was in the passenger seat buzzing like crazy. She was sure it was Sierra calling her to see how much longer it would be before she gets there. Candy ignored her phone and kept driving she was only five minutes late anyway.

When she pulled up to Juicy's the sounds of sirens filled the night as an ambulance sped past her going out of the parking lot as she was pulling in. As she pulled up closer to the front of the building people were scattered all over with looks of panic and confusion.

Something clearly was not right as Candy parked her car got out then made her way through the crowd about to walk up to the front door when a police officer rushed to her. Blocking the door so she couldn't enter.

"The building is shut down you can't go inside mam.' the officer informed her.

"what's going on?" Candy asked confused

"Candy!" Sierra shouted as  She ran up to Candy she has red curly hair, brown skin, People usually assume they were sisters.

"What's going on? Candy asked trying to keep herself calm. 

Sierra looked down and said nothing

"What's going on?" Candy was worried.

"Alex was looking you....."

Candy had a sick feeling to her stomach.

"Ok what are you saying she asked hoping it's not what she thought it was

"When he couldn't find you he went ballistic stared shooting up the place and killed four people," Sierra explained.

"Is he still here?"

Sierra shook her head.

"He left before the police got here"

After that Candy just shut down as she walked passed Sierra, and the cops who were calling out her name she just ignored them while getting into her car and driving off into the night to her apartment making sure all her doors were locked as she went inside quickly changed out  of clothes, put her phone on airplane mode then getting in to bed hiding under the covers as she cried herself to sleep.

The next morning Candy was awakened by a loud pounding coming from her front door she pulled the cover off her, rolled over and grabbed her phone looking at the time it was 8:30 am.  Assuming whomever it was would go away she pulled the cover back onto her shivering body and was about to close her eyes to go back to sleep.

"Police department mam." a loud male voice boomed.

Candy sighed as she reluctantly got out of bed and made her way to the door Once she opened the door she was met with a tall, average looking man with dark eyes and dark hair in a police uniform.

He just stood there looking at her for a moment.

"What do you want?" Candy said irritated since she was never up this early.

"Are you Ms. Carla?" the officer asked.

She nodded.

"May I come in?" he asked. She said nothing as she opened the door farther and he walked inside they both sat down on a brown couch.  He looked at her.

"Ok so I have good news and bad news" he explained.

Candy looked at him

"What's the good news?" she asked

"We were able to arrest Alex last night." He told her.

"What's the bad news." she raised her brow.

"We feel since he was looking for you last night we feel your safety is at risk." The officer explained

"So what does that mean?" I asked.

"Well... I was assigned to watch over you until Alex's trial is over "He stated.