Chapter 40

Arthur's POV

I almost jumped out of my car when I reached  the hospital. Without wasting a single second, I came running towards the busy entrance of Emergency Department. My employees look at me in disbelief seeing me unpoised and anxiously running. I cant blame them, I never showed emotions to anyone in the hospital. This must be the first time they saw me in hysterical disposition.

I always carry a blank, stoic facial expression whenever I walked down the hospital. Kung sino man ang nakakasalubong ko ay umiiwas or tumatalilis sa takot. Dati wala akong pakialam sa sasabihin nila, ngayon hindi na. I was kinda regretful of how I represent myself because Emee might have misunderstood it. She must be feeling resentful towards my ill behaviour and insensitive approach.

God, Esmeralda!

Nang mga oras na iyon ay hindi ko na magawang kumalma. Buhay na ni Emee ang nakataya! Ang huling naalala kong nawala ang aking composure ay noong isinugod kami ni Margareth sa ospital dahil sa isang aksidenteng nangyari nine years ago. This moment feels familiar, a dejavu. Bumalik ang dating takot na naramdaman ko dahil sa napipintong pagkawala ng taong napakahalaga sa aking buhay.

Nang makarating ako sa Emergency Department ay natigilan ako. My heart beats double as I saw the chaos in the room. Abala ang lahat sa pagsalba ng mga pasyente. I have always known Emergency Department to be a chaotic department because of the outflowing patients coming in and out of the hospital but for this moment, it makes me scared. Esmeralda might be one of the reasons of their chaos.

I want to ask a nurse, a doctor, or anyone—but it seems that they're too busy to be disturbed. I chose my instinct and went directly to the Resuscitation Room, the room where all critical and life-threatening patients are being taken care of.

But when I got inside, the room is empty. Walang tao. Lalo akong kinabahan. Was Esmeralda been directed to Operating Room? Did she sustain a major trauma? No one could possible be safe and unscathed with those car collisions! Seeing the damage of the car she was into, she must be in a life threatening condition right now!

"Kuya!"

Agad akong napalingon nang biglang lumitaw si Archimedes sa likuran ko. He looked distraught. Lalo akong kinabahan.

"Where's Esmeralda?!" agad kong hiyaw sa kanya.

Naikuyom ko ang mga palad nang mag-iwas siya ng tingin sa akin. That made me more apprehensive. Hindi nag-iiwas ng tingin si Archimedes sa akin kahit pa may nagawa siyang matinding kasalanan. And the look on his face—fuckin' terrible! Did something bad happen to Esmeralda? Why is Archimedes being silent? Hindi ko na napigilan ang sarili at hinablot ang kanyang mga kuwelyo.

"What the fuck happened to Esmeralda? Where is she?!" galit kong untag sa pananahimik niya.

Nanatiling mailap ang kanyang mga mata. He kept his silence. And his eyes are depicted with pain and remorse. What's the remorse for? Mas lalo kong diniinan ang pagkakahawak sa kuwelyo niya saka siya niyugyog.

"Answer me, goddamn it, Archimedes!"

I think he was left with no choice but to respond. "She's in the other room..."

"Which room?!"

"P-post mortem r-room..."

Nanlaki ang mga mata ko. For a second, I thought the world stopped spinning. I couldn't find a word to say.

She's dead?