Chapter 1

"What is the value of pi?"

"3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592-"

"Okay that's enough. I only said memorize until the tenth decimal, but as usual, Ms. Hong, you memorized it all." Mrs. Go looked at me, amused. She was crossing her arms on her chest while shooting dagger glares at every student as she walked around the classroom, her red stilleto heels echoing around the classroom is the only thing heard inside since everybody was deadly silent. She arranged her crimson red cat eye glasses on her nosebridge, looking like that stereotypical terror math teacher.

"As usual, I'll give you an A+, Hong Rajin. You are an excellent student."Mrs. Go looked at me again, smiling. Not that friendly smile from a chill teacher or a motherly smile from a loving teacher, but the classy kind of smile that you see in your terror teachers when amused. "Now you may sit."

I did as I was told. I arranged my glasses on my eyes since it slid off a bit.

Students around me began to murmur things, and even with the slightest whisper, Mrs. Go got really pissed off, "If anyone, other than given my consent, says a word in this class, you'll be kicked out of the class and be marked absent."She said, closing her eyes in annoyance.

That made every student close their mouths and sit up straight.

Mrs. Go went towards her table in front of the class, slamming her hands on the top of the table which made most of the students flinch on their seats.

"Next up, Jung Hoseok."Mrs. Go said, and Hoseok, who happened to be my seatmate, stood up, looking absolutely terrified. "Recite the pi until the 10th decimal." Mrs. Go said nonchalantly, which made Jung Hoseok gulp.

“t-three p-point fourteen...”Hoseok stuttered which made me mentally face palm. I heard that he was memorizing the pi earlier while Mrs. Go still hasn't arrived in the classroom, but I guess he got a mental block.

“What's next? You only have one chance. If you mess up one number, you fail.” Mrs. Go raised an eyebrow at Hoseok. I just sighed, got my notebook from my bag under my desk, silently tore a piece of paper, about the size of my palm, got my pen from the pocket of my skirt, and wrote "3.1415926535"  on the paper.

I nudged at Hoseok lightly, then slid the paper between his feet on the floor. We are sitting at the middle part of the classroom, so we aren't noticed. I motioned him to wait. I got my thick math book, and then let it fall on the ground, making a noise, which made Mrs. Go divert her attention towards me. I bowed lightly and picked up my book, then arranged my glasses again.

While picking up the book, I lightly pinched Hoseok's leg, signalling him to read what's on the paper immediately.

“3.1415926535.”Hoseok said as fast as possible while Mrs. Go wasn't looking at him.

I immediately stepped on the paper between his feet and dragged it towards me, then I picked the paper up and placed it in my pocket before Mrs. Go suspects a thing.

Since Mrs. Go said that we only have one chance to say the pi without any mistakes, Hoseok passed.

Mrs. Go sighed, as she nodded. “Good. Now you may sit.” Hoseok heaved out a huge sigh of relief as he sat down on his seat. He looked at me as if he was saying a million thanks.

I just kept my usual pokerface, shrugged, and looked away, then arranged my glasses.

Honestly, Jung Hoseok and I never even talked to each other before. I mean, a decent kind of conversation. Just a few "hi"s and "hello"s, and he often asks me if I have any extra pen or pencil or eraser since he usually forgets his school supplies. That's all.