Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

        I sat on my bed for what seemed like forever, my finger hovering back and forth over the call button. Those ten black numbers shining brightly across my screen. Come on, just call him. That inner voice urged for the sixth time. My finger inched towards the call button before moving away once again.

     "Ugh." I let out frustrated, flopping onto my back. I couldn't call him, I just couldn't. What would I even say once he picked up?

I brought the phone back around to my face. I'll just delete the number and throw the paper away. It was as simple as that, I concluded getting ready to hit the backspace button, when my finger accidentally swiped over the call button.

Oh no. Oh no. I panicked, listening as the phone started to ring. I could always just hang up, that's what I would do! I quickly reached to hit the end button when a very tired voice picked up after the second ring.

Music played loudly in the background before disappearing. "Hello." Lee's voice came through the receiver.

I held the phone away from my face, laying as still as I could. Maybe if I didn't say anything he would hang up.

      "Hello," Lee's voice sounded again, this time firmer. "Is anyone there?"

"Yes. I mean no," I got out, "Maybe?" I said not knowing how to get myself out of the situation that I was in.

There was some movement in the background before Lee's voice sounded again. "Is this Simone?" He asked, slight amusement lining his voice as he spoke.

       "Yes?" I replied unsurely. "How did you know?" I asked embarrassed.

He chuckled. "Your friend told me that you would call me sometime today, just wasn't expecting it to be this late." He said honestly and I could've  strangled Victoria. Just how much did she talk to Lee - and about me?

     "Yeah, you actually caught me at a bad time." He continued.

I immediately sat up straight in my bed, feeling like an idiot. Of course he was busy, I couldn't just call him whenever. He was a rockstar for goodness sakes.

I grasped the phone tighter in my hands as I pressed it to my ear. "Sorry, I was just calling to say thank you for the other day. You know, for helping me not choke on that corn dog." I emphasized.

"No problem," He replied.

I closed my eyes briefly, "Okay, then. I'll uh, let you get back to whatever you were doing." I said lamely. I waited for him to reply back so I could end the phone call and wallow in my own self pity. I was such an idiot. Why had I called him in the first place? I knew better. I inwardly kicked myself.

After a few seconds, Lee replied. "Alright." He said simply, making me feel even more humiliated for expecting him to actually want to talk to me.

      "Alright, bye." I got ready to hit the end button when Lee spoke again.

"I'll call you in a few hours if you're still awake." He said softly.

I felt my heart skip a beat as I nodded into the phone like an idiot. "Um, Yeah. I'll still be awake." I answered back.

     "Good." Was all he said before a comfortable silence settled between us. "I'll call you later." He said again, hitting the end button.