Chapter Twenty - Six

Not edited

Chapter Twenty - Six

Every time that I visited Lee's apartment, I couldn't help but feel like it was a privilege. Lee didn't seem like the type to have people over at his place just for the heck of it, but then again, I was still learning more and more about him every time we spent time together. He was no longer the puzzle that I had been trying to piece together in the beginning..he was more like a Rubik's cube that constantly kept shifting and changing every time I thought I knew what type of person he was.

Although, that didn't mean that it was a bad thing, it just meant that I hadn't known as much as I thought I had known about his character from watching him on the tv.

I stood against the kitchen's doorframe, watching as Lee continued to stir some soup in one of the large, gray pots sitting on the stove. "You really didn't have to cook for me." I told him, feeling bad that he was going through so much trouble to fix me a meal and I was just sitting around watching, "I can help you if you want." I offered for the third time that night.

          Lee shook his head at me again like he had done the last two times I had offered to help him cook. "No, you're my guest. Go back to the living room and relax and i'll come and get you when everything is ready." He had repeated.

        "Lee." I protested.

He held up a finger in my direction as if he was ending the discussion once and for all. "Nope." he said with finality.

I gave up, knowing that I wouldn't be changing his mind as I decided to go back to the living room, only this time I didn't sit back down on the couch, I walked over to the bookshelf standing by his front door. I glanced over it, pausing as my eyes came across a few picture frames. I grabbed the first picture frame that I had saw and held it up. It was a picture of Lee dressed in a black tuxedo with a woman in a bright yellow dress with red flowers in her hands. Her skin was pale, paler than Lee's if that was possible. Her hair was midnight black and was pulled back into a side ponytail. She and Lee stood together, Lee's arm wrapped around her waist as he smiled widely, while the woman held a sour look on her face as she stared back into the camera. She was beautiful, I thought as I placed the photo back onto the shelf and let my eyes wonder, scanning the books that were stacked neatly against one another. I randomly grabbed one of the thick books, opening it up before closing it and reaching for another one. I opened it, frowning as I placed it back. Just as I was getting ready to reach for a third one, Lee's voice cut me off.

        "If you're wondering, they're all written in Chinese." Lee's amused voice called from behind me as he stood in the entrance of the living room.

I turned to him sheepishly, feeling like a child caught stealing. "Sorry that I went through your things."

Lee didn't say anything as he walked over to me, leaning his head over my shoulder as he smiled. "It's fine. I've been watching you for awhile trying to see what you were going to get into next." He said, grinning when he saw how embarrassed I had become. He reached for the picture frame I was holding earlier and pointed to the woman in the photo. "This is my cousin, Shi. The one I was telling you about the other day. We took this picture a couple of months ago at Thomas's wedding. She was still mad that she had caught the bouquet of flowers that Natalie had thrown. She has this thing about not wanting nor needing a man, so when she caught the flowers I had teased her all day about it up until this picture," He said, directing his eyes to me, "If you were curious." He added, obviously enjoying the fact that he had caught me snooping around.

        "You're enjoying this too much," I turned to him, trying to change the subject. "Is the food ready?" Lee placed the photo back onto the shelf.