Chapter 2

I could have sworn that my alarm was set to ring, but I was proven otherwise when a half-ready Liz Hemmings was shaking me awake. "You're going to be late for school! Wake up!" she pestered.

It wasn't like I was ever late anyway. School was a ten-minute drive away, and the only time I am ever close to late is when Liz decides to put on makeup in the morning. She says it's to make herself look presentable at work. I remember she once, when I was younger, she told me that it helps her stay awake. (Or perhaps it made her look more awake, which was true.) I wasn't going to blame her, though. They're her needs, not mine. She claims riding the bus was not an option, so I sort of need her. However, as long as I have a ride to school, I don't mind if Liz spends so much time on herself in the morning.

I sat on the table in my usual spot, quickly (and sloppily, might I add) eating cereal as I watched Sherlock on Netflix. Dammit, I can't stop watching this fucking show and I need to concentrate on school.

"You know what this is?" LeStrade said to Anderson. "This is guilt."

"Hell yeah, it is," I agreed with cereal in my mouth. "Anderson was always an asshole."

I continued watching LeStrade and Anderson talking, and soon they gave cheers to Sherlock. Then they changed to a different scene, and it went to John standing at the cemetery. They zoomed out on his face, and I choked on my Kellogg's.

"What the hell?" I choked, and I started coughing on the bits of cereal still stuck in my throat. "What kind of a—what the hell, John?" I knew very well that John wasn't going to answer me, but I needed to insult his mustache. It was terrible.

"Alright, Lucas," Liz said as she walked out of her room. "Get in the car."

I put my phone away and drank a glass of water to clear my throat. I grabbed my backpack and the car keys, and I made my way outside. It didn't take long for me to start the car and wait for Liz. I had my headphones on while I still could—Liz doesn't allow me to listen to music while I'm in the front seat.

Liz stepped in the car, setting her purse in the backseat, and she made her way to drop me to school. I turned on the radio, switching from various stations constantly. Once it was 7:30, I didn't bother changing the stations. All the radio stations took a long commercial break at 7:30, I've noticed.

"What were you watching when you were eating breakfast?" Liz asked me, trying to make small talk.

"A television show," I replied, focusing on changing the radio station.

"Which TV show?"

"Sherlock."

"What happened that made you complain?"

"Nothing interesting."

"Maybe I should watch the show."

"You wouldn't like it."

The conversation ended there. That was the kind of talk Liz and I had. She would try to talk to me, and I would give her the smallest responses. Honestly, I never wanted to talk to Liz. I didn't want to talk to anyone. I just wanted to put my earphones on and block out the rest of the world.

It was so much easier to be with my father. He was a quiet man who didn't like to express his feelings through words. He wouldn't try to make small talk with me unless I actually wanted to, which I never did. All we ever did together was listen to the radio. If only Liz were the same way...

Soon enough, Liz had made it to my school. I grabbed my backpack, stepping out of the car and throwing it over my shoulder.

"You forgot something!" Liz called from the car.