Chapter 39

"How was school, kiddo?"

"I'll have you know, Benjamin, that I am not in school, but university, and I am a legal adult."

"But you're still the youngest of three, so you're still our Baby Lucas."

I shoved Ben playfully, and he laughed. I heard Jack call, "Shit's about to go down!" on the other side of the room, and Ben and I started playfully wrestling. Sure, I was taller than Ben (he was the shortest of the three of us), but there was no doubt he was more muscular, and so he had me pinned to the ground soon enough.

"DOGPILE!"

"JACK, DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE—"

But Jack was on top of us now, sitting on top of Ben and I as if he were some sort of king. And I suppose that was right of him to think. He was the firstborn, and when we were kids, he would always call himself a king.

"Celeste would kill me if she saw me like this," Jack said. There was a bit of reminiscence in his voice, as if he lived for these moments. He had a smile on his face. I don't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

"Oh, yeah, Jack, you're setting up such a good example for your daughter," Ben said sarcastically. "Number One Dad right over here."

Jack then punched Ben in the gut, who then rolled over in pain. I was now relieved of Ben's weight, but Jack was still on top of me. Jack then got off of me to go after Ben, and I took a minute to appreciate the air that is surrounding me now.

I was forever grateful that Ben and Jack took me in.

Of course, Ben and Jack had jobs, not to mention that Jack was a husband and father. Ben offered me to live in his house (Jack called it "Ben's Playboy Condo"), and Jack would visit on his way home from work every day. On the weekends, Jack's wife Celeste and their daughter would come over—which made Jack very happy, as he said that "Zoe has missed her Uckle Wukey." Sometimes I was a bit unhappy with my arrival, as Ben started to work night shifts so that he could make me breakfast every morning. No matter how many times I told him that I could buy something from Yum Yum's on the way to UCLA, Ben refused to go back to day shifts. But I suppose it made everything better for me, because I could have long Skype calls without Ben bugging me for staying up late.

"Well," Jack said after his little "row" with Ben, "I should probably get back to the wife and the kid.

"And I should get to work!" Ben said. I frowned, and Ben stared at me, giving me a sad smile. "I don't mind working night shifts, Luke. If I get to see you every morning when I wake up, I know I'll be okay. Besides, I sleep right after you leave. Don't worry about it."

I hugged Ben and Jack goodbye, and they both walked out the door. I immediately ran to my room (which, much to my surprise, was set up by Ben in case I ever wanted to live with him), and opened my laptop. I set up Word, and I waited for it to load. My phone beeped beside me, and I looked at the lock screen.

i have ice cream, let's skype xx

I chuckled, opening Skype and waiting as it loaded.

"You should know that I've been waiting for you to call me," Calum said with a smile.

"Well, look who's desperate," I said with a chuckle.

"But baby," Calum said in a whiny, girly voice, "I love you!"

"Not now, babe, I have to go practice with the guys," I said in a deep voice. "Gotta keep the star quarterback rep, ya know?"

Calum laughed, rolling his eyes. "I bet you don't even play football!"

"Hey!" I whined. Calum cocked an eyebrow. "You're right, I don't..."