Chapter 35

It was Saturday, so I didn't have to go to work today. It made me a little sad, though. I liked going to work, even though I haven't technically started yet. Perhaps work will be like school. I never liked the idea of school, but I enjoyed going to school because it kept me away from home. Going to work is yet another excuse for me to be away from the house, and that pleased me.

It was around six in the morning. I don't know why I was up this early, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep now that I've woken up. I grabbed a notepad that was on my desk and a pencil from my backpack that I used in school. I needed to throw this backpack away. I had used this backpack since freshman year, and now there was a giant hole in the bottom. Sometimes, my folder or notebooks fell out, so I needed to cover the hole in duct tape—not that it helped very much.

I opened the notepad, and the first thing I saw was an outline for a story that I created when I was about fourteen. I looked down at my messy, childlike writing, and I smiled. Writing was something that I liked to do, even though people didn't expect that of me. A lot of Liz and Andrew's friends thought I would follow in Liz's footsteps and get a major in mathematics, but I knew that math definitely wasn't my field. Ben and Andrew's friends, however, thought that I would major in music or the arts (due to mishaps of them walking in on me singing and playing the guitar), and they were partially right. I wanted to major in music very much, but I wanted even more to major in linguistics.

I flipped over a couple of pages of the notepad until I finally got to a blank page. I wrote "Teen Club Reading List" on the title line, and I wrote little dashes inside the left margin. The first book I put down was Looking For Alaska by John Green. I admired John Green's works very much, and Looking For Alaska was a book that was both enjoyable and got you thinking.

I really wanted to put down the entire Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, as well as Heroes of Olympus, but I don't think I can have teenagers read two series of books that are similar. Not that it'll take them a long time, since I finished both the Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus series in less than a week. Or, rather, most of the Heroes of Olympus series, since Blood of Olympus has yet to come out.

I put To Kill a Mockingbird on the reading list, since I read it during school and enjoyed it very much. I twirled the pencil in between my fingers as I thought of more things to put on the reading list.

I sighed, running a hand through my messy morning hair. I closed the notepad and put my pencil through the rings. I pulled on a random pair of skinny jeans and threw my Fall Out Boy sweatshirt over my head. I tucked the notepad under my arm, grabbed my house keys (given to me by Liz after my graduation, as she decided she finally trusted me with keys of my own), and headed out the door.

"BE BACK IN A FEW!" I shouted. Liz and Andrew were probably still sleeping, so I decided that texting them would probably be the best thing to do.

After about fifteen minutes of walking, I was hit with the strong aroma of coffee. I loved the smell of Starbucks buildings—it felt homey and comfortable. Since it was only six in the morning, not many people were here, so I went straight to the barista and ordered my usual Chocolate Cookie Crumble.

Once I got my drink, I made my way to the very back of the building and made myself comfortable at the table. I took a sip of my Frappuccino and opened my notepad back to where the reading list was. I took the pencil out of the rings, twirled it in between my fingers, and thought of more books to put on the list.

As I looked at it, it read:

TEEN CLUB READING LIST

- "Looking For Alaska" by John Green